Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need more ram for 3 comp's-what do i get?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:37 AM

Hello,

i have three computers that need ram. below are each computer with the related url at the crucial website.

according to crucial, they all use sdram pc133, but that doesn't explain whether i need simm, dimm, either, or that none of them will work. can you mix a simm and a dimm? how about ddr2? what will ddr2 work with?
i was told in a forum that ANY pc133 COULD work (providing the computer requires pc133), but any particular stick can 'dislike' any particular computer, even if it runs memtest86 for several days without an error. there is no guarantee according to this person.

here are the links to crucial:

dell demension l933r
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension%20L%20Series

gateway G6-350
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=G6-350

IBM 300pl model 6892
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=PC%20300PL%20Type%206892%20All%20Models

will this work with these computers? it seems like a great deal if it would.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-22-HP-Compaq-128MB-PC133-SDRAM-168pin-Desktop_W0QQitemZ390269885248QQcategoryZ14913QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5617698987108006029
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

DDR2 etc is not relevant, PC133 SDRAM is not DDR.

I don't see anything to suggest the RAM on ebay is unsuitable, and moneyback is offered. It is possible for a particular computer/memory combination to be "cranky", but the biggest problems seemed to be using PC100 or PC133 in systems designed for PC66. The backwards compatability didn't always work properly.

Is the 256MB going to be sufficient for the Dell that only has 2 slots? I assume you'll be using Windows 98 or a small Linux, in which case it should be.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:48 AM

Platypus,

"DDR2 etc is not relevant, PC133 SDRAM is not DDR."
very good.

"I don't see anything to suggest the RAM on ebay is unsuitable"
the price is certainly right

"moneyback is offered"
it's great that they offer money back, but most of the time shipping quadruples the cost of the item, and the buyer always has to pay for return shipping. giving them negative feedback is the only practical recourse if the ram is defective.

"Is the 256MB going to be sufficient for the Dell that only has 2 slots?"
the dell currently has one 256mb stick and i can watch (and listen to) youtube videos nicely :)
a second 256mb stick will make a huge difference.

"I assume you'll be using Windows 98 or a small Linux"
tinycore linux. so far it has worked on every computer i've attempted to install it on.

it looks like ebay is an excellent place to purchase ram.
thanks.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

the price is certainly right

If nobody bids you up. I don't suppose many people will be competing for SDRAM.

the dell currently has one 256mb stick and i can watch (and listen to) youtube videos nicely :)
a second 256mb stick will make a huge difference.

I was assuming you were just getting the 128M ones. Even adding one of them would help, but another 256 would be better.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users