Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Burning A Dvd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 06:27 AM

I decrypted using DVD Shrink and burned a copy with Nero suite 6, and it came out fine, but the second DVD had a problem. The decrypting started, but stoped about half the way thtough and had this message-

DVD Shrink encountered an error and connot continue. Failed to read file "E:\"

I tried twice, the first time I used the re-author to delete the extras and the menus, I thought perhaps I had created a problem with it so I went back to trying to copy the whole DVD, but the same message came up. I examined the DVDs surface and didn't see anything other than a couple of fingerprints, and trying to make the second copy deleted the first attempt, I can't figure out why this is happening. I only have 192MB of RAM, which should only slow the process down if I understand this correctly, but I have 118GB of free space on the partition of the HDD that I'm using.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:44 PM

After exstensive googling, I was able to find out that the DVD Shrink error codes are fairly specific, and in this case it was a cyclic error, and appears that the error code regards a problem reading from the disk. As it turns out, the disk looked ok, just a couple of finger prints, then I remembered that the person who loaned me the movie was a smoker, I washed the DVD with 409, rinsed it off, dried it, and it gave me no more problems...Other than taking over two hours due to my lack of RAM. The other problem that I was worried about because of my lack of RAM is the error semaphore timeout period expiration, but so far, knock on wood, this hasn't been an issue, but I'm also re-authoring which allows me to delete the extras, and menus decreesing the size of the file.

Slowly but surely, I'm learning. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 04 December 2005 - 02:46 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:51 PM

Coool :thumbsup: . 409? I'll have to remember that. I use car wax.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 08:20 PM

acklan...

Now that is cool.... I have never tried car wax. I'm going to try that but I bet guys at the office will think I've gone off the deep end... *laughes*!!!

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 08:43 PM

:thumbsup: :huh: :(

That was the first reaction I got from my friend. Don't use compound. I did it friday with my business partner. He has a bad habit of leaving the cd laying on his desk. A little Mothers Paste wax. Cleans it up nice.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:12 AM

At the risk sounding like an advertisement, a friend of mine owns a bar where everything has a fine patina from decades of cigarette smoke, and one of her prize possessions is a lamp from a 19th century locomotive. As it turns out, 409 literally melted away the nicotine, for the nicotine it worked better than the other products we tried.

How and what does the car wax accomplish?

BTW...It would appear that I need to make an explanation regarding the nature of the movies I was editing and copying, these were digitized copies of home videos of camping and fishing trips with friends, the DVD Shrink wasn't as good as I had been led to belive as an editing software. We all know that it is illegal to copy encryption protected movies.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:23 AM

Just like on a car it remove firm and brings back a shine. It's just a form of cleaner. You don't want to use chemicals that distrot the plastic. Some chemicals will frost the plastic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users