Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Drive Failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James J

James J

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:42 AM

While loading a new copy of Win7 pro.
I forgot that my 4GB flash drive was attached to my computer. I needed to format the HDD and thats when I noticed that the flash drive was still attached. At this time I removed the flash drive. Now whenever I try to use the drive it want's to format and if i engage the format it fails. Have I destroyed the flash drive?

Thanks
James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:10 AM

Hi James and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Please try this suggestion from ehow.com

http://www.ehow.com/how_2006214_format-flash-drive.html

Let me know if this works or not.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Trezax

Trezax

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

Launch the command prompt window and run this command to force format your flash drive:

format H: /FS:NTFS /x

Replace H: with your own flash drive letter. Good Luck!

#4 P.C.Guy

P.C.Guy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:52 PM

Good suggestion Trezax, I'm interested in hearing whether it allows him to format it that way.
My Blog: New PC Tips

#5 James J

James J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:46 AM

Thanks MrBruce and Trezax for your response no joy with he format plan, going to download the GParted or @ least check it out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This is what worked for me.
Running Win7 >Control panel > Admin tools > Computer management > Disk management > Highlighted removal 3.75 GB disk (this is the flash drive that needed formatted) right clicked and formatted from there and great JOY.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users