Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Build me a PC please

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scottbryan724

scottbryan724

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:54 AM

i think im finally going to take the plunge im kind of forced to cause my 6 year old pc cant seem to keep up with my needs anymore so can several people put together what they think will be a great pc for me looking to spend around 800-1000 maybe 100 more but not more then that the cheaper the better though i want a pc that will last me a pretty decent amount of time and not struggle under any circumstances performance wise

would like all parts from newegg and it be an intel processor based build

im going to be building my first pc with this build..please include any extras i would need such as fans or heatsinks or anything else you think i would need to keep the pc running in safe conditions because thats one part im not sure about what i would need so play dumb with me a little bit and just let me know everything i would need thats extra like that

i will be using the computer for basic photoshop and video editing along with basic pc and internet tasks,and all types of multimedia stuff

i listen to a good deal of music through my pc so i either need a motherboard with good integrated sound by good i just mean good sounding and has no history of problems or i need a good soundcard whichever you think is best

you dont need to include hard drive in your selection that much i can do plus i have 2 relatively new drives..but one thing im interested in doing is possibly running a 60-80gb ssd as my windows drive so please make a recommendation on that if i choose to go that route and please include any accessories like brackets or anything i would need with it not sure how they come...

i have great speakers so dont need that

im also going to want to get windows 7 i figure i would get home premium 64bit

when ti comes to the case i need front audio and atleast 2 front usb ports i also like cases that have good ventilation and give me an option for mid tower and full tower not sure which size would be best for me yet ...with the motherboard i would like usb 3.0 capability...and would like to have 6-8 back usb ports

dont need mouse or keyboard

need basic dvd burner

i might want to get a monitor so if you can recommend one for me also that would be great looking for something that would be the equivalent screen viewing wise as a 19inch standard lcd

and one last thing if theres any special tools i will need to put this together my self please let me know about that as well

would greatly appreciate several peoples input on this and selections so i can compare on my own..any questions please ask

Edited by scottbryan724, 13 December 2010 - 03:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scottbryan724

scottbryan724
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:12 PM

one more thing due to certain circumstances im not sure if i will have the time to build this as fast as i need it..i know mwave.com lets you pick the parts and they will assemble..are there any other sites that have good prices like newegg that will do this..plus does anyone know of any local place in brooklyn ny that will assemble for me if i buy the parts from newegg even if its a charge of 80-150 to do so

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:10 AM

I don't know of any shops in Brooklyn that will assemble your PC, at least, none in Brooklyn Heights where I lived. You may want to call around to local PC shops, but it really doesn't take much more than a couple of hours if you have the parts all ready. You will probably need a few basic tools, a Phillips screwdriver, needle-nose pliers, and an anti-static wristband (Which most DIY'ers never use). Creating a PC that will last six years with an SSD and monitor for under $1000 will be tricky. Anyway, here are some suggestions:

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - This should be large enough to hold everything. If you're planning on using Crossfire or SLI, you may want to consider a full-ATX case, like the Broadway Com Corp R-800, as they are deeper and can better handle hot components. Aluminum cases are usually higher-end, shipping can be very expensive, and any side vents, windows, or fans will make the case seem more noisy. $59

Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 - This is a basic AM3 motherboard which uses DDR3-1333 and allows for Crossfire. The AMD 800 series chipset allows for SATA 6 and USB 3.0 which are just coming out. If you see yourself using Crossfire, you may want to get a better motherboard, such as the MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI which also has suck-y on-board graphics, or the flagship model, the GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX. $99

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz - With Intel, until you get to the i7 950, there is usually an equally performing, less-expensive AMD alternative. This will run all your software quite well and, since it is Black Edition, the multiplier is unlocked allowing for easy overclocking. If you use programs that can take advantage of six cores, the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz would also be a great alternative as it offers the same speed, but with two more cores. $144

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W - This will provide power to all but the most high-end of graphics cards. $79

Graphics Card: HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB - This is one of AMD's new mid-range graphics cards. It performs between the Radeon 5830 and the 5850. The next step up would be the XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB. Both of these cards allow for DirectX 11 and EyeFinity along with Crossfire. Though, if you want to use Crossfire, you may want a power supply with more wattage. $179

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB DDR3-1333 - This is a single stick of DDR3-1333 RAM. Most people, unless you are working with huge files or certain rendering/editing programs, only need 4GB. You need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM. $50

SSD: Corsair Force CSSD-F60GB2-BRKT 2.5" 60GB - Given your budget and the cost per GB of an SSD, your options here are limited, though this is a good drive that comes with a mounting bracket. $164

ODD: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support - A simple optical drive. $23

Monitor: ASUS VE198T Black 19" 5ms LED BackLight - I'm a big fan of LED backlit monitors, they don't use much power, they have better contrast, and they're more environmentally friendly. $119

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - You need this. $99

(Optional) Sound Card: HT | OMEGA STRIKER - This is a good consumer-lever sound card. Though, the rule of "garbage in, garbage out" applies. If your speakers/headphones aren't good, or your music files are encoded at a high bit rate, preferably lossless, even the best sound card will not make up for these. I tend to stay way from anything using a Creative chip inside, such as the X-Fi. If you're wanting a higher-end pro-sumer card, the ASUS Xonar D2 is strongly suggested. You don't need this unless you want more options or have a relatively high-end sound setup. $89

Grand Total: $1,023 (Does not include shipping, taxes, rebates, or optional items)

3939.png

#4 scottbryan724

scottbryan724
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

based off what ive looked at i think i would like to base a build off this processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211

it seems with that i would be able to do all the things i wanna do but not only that do them all at once without any lag at all...im coming from a pentium 4 3ghz so im sure anything will be amazing to me but i wanna go for the best when it comes to that and this seems like the best might be considered overkill but why not

and i think im going to drop the ssd and also the monitor for now

would like 6-8gb ram

and one more thing i left out about the motherboard i would like SATA 6.0Gb/s. as well

i also know new line of products is coming from intel soon but i think i still would like to do what im doing because like i said the way i see it no matter it will be a tremendous upgrade for me and i figure when the time comes since ive built the machine i could always upgrade

so theres some updated info i could get new builds for people it would be greatly appreciated

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:08 AM

Right now, both AMD and Intel are in a state of flux with CPU's. AMD will be releasing their Bulldozer line with limited backwards compatibility and Intel will be releasing Sandy Bridge with no backwards compatibility next year. I'm curious, what is drawing you to the i7 950? With games, usually the graphics card is the deciding factor in performance with a few exceptions, with multimedia applications, RAM and, depending on the CPU design, number of CPU cores play a greater factor. Remember, you are not only paying for the CPU but also a compatible motherboard. A good X58 motherboard for that i7 950 will cost about $200.

3939.png

#6 scottbryan724

scottbryan724
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

Right now, both AMD and Intel are in a state of flux with CPU's. AMD will be releasing their Bulldozer line with limited backwards compatibility and Intel will be releasing Sandy Bridge with no backwards compatibility next year. I'm curious, what is drawing you to the i7 950? With games, usually the graphics card is the deciding factor in performance with a few exceptions, with multimedia applications, RAM and, depending on the CPU design, number of CPU cores play a greater factor. Remember, you are not only paying for the CPU but also a compatible motherboard. A good X58 motherboard for that i7 950 will cost about $200.

based off the reviews..and it being the most top of the line that i could actually afford to build a system around i think as of now..prob with the new stuff coming out it might be new but it probably will also be more expensive right now..plus i dont know how long i could actually wait this pc is slowing me down drastically right now and its hard to get anything done

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:19 PM

I can see that, but in all honesty I think the AMD 1090T will outperform that chip for less money, its a black edition 6 core CPU. Just my two cents though.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:41 PM

Actually, the i7 950 isn't top-of-the-line for Intel. You would probably be better off with a Phenom II X6 and a Radeon 6970 if you are gaming.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users