Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buy or Lease DSL Modem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ziva

Ziva

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

This Christmas I want to get myself a present of faster internet service. I've decided to go with DSL through the phone company. I'm trying to decide whether to buy or lease the modem. To buy would cost about $100 in US dollars. To lease would be $8 bucks a month. I've asked friends but get mix messages. Some say buy to avoid the monthly fee. While others say rent so if something goes wrong the phone co will have to replace it.

Anyone have an opinion???

Thank you,

Ziva

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:39 PM

ouch
my company didn't charge me anything for my modem. (windstream.net)

Tell em you want it for free

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

If its $100 its probably their 2Wire which is wireless
My DSL modem is the SpeedStream 5100 which is not wireless. They charged me 50 for it but there was a 50 rebate as well.

I agree with Martel, tell them you want it for free or no deal
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:39 AM

If you don't need wireless, you can get used modems dirt cheap. People that have upgraded to wireless always have them for sale and they can be had for less than $20

Try your local Craigs list and ebay.

#5 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:59 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I will ask and see if I can get the modem for free. Otherwise I'll get my own since I don't need wireless.

Ziva

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

My general rule of thumb is to buy equipment if the company is charging you a rental fee. I have an original DirectTV Satellite tuner in my closet we bought back in 1998, still works just had to upgrade to get local channels, now we pay $5-$10 rental fees for the new box since they quit selling them outright. I have a Cable Modem sitting in storage from 5 years ago, still works just moved out of the city.

If each piece of equipment lasts more than 12 months the purchase has paid for itself in saved fees (Sat. box was $100 it lasted 10 years before we upgraded at $5 a month thats a savings of $600, the Cable modem was $80 and I used it for 24 months roughly I saved $40 in rental fees, assuming $5/mo fee like the new Sat. box). Add a 2 year warranty to the item and you can almost guarantee a positive return.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users