Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple versions of Microsoft .NET Framework

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Computerbreaker

Computerbreaker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

I have multiple versions of Microsoft's .NET Framework and was wondering if I remove the older version I would do any harm to my computer. Right now I have installed:

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
2.0 Service Pack 2
3.0 Service Pack 2
3.5 Service Pack 2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:35 PM

Hi,
I'm not an expert per-se, just an enthusiast, but I think I can help here. It depends on what you want to do. Having all of the .net framework versions that exist on Microsoft's site installed won't hurt your computer at all, but all it means is that Microsoft's IDEs will recognize any one of them. Do you use Visual Studio? are you a developer? If so, your configuration is fine. It's fine either way. Windows has a way about it where it installs a series of .net framework versions, and it also feels responsible for keeping them up to date for you if you have enabled the Automatic Update serveice (AU). Hope this helps.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:07 PM

Hi -
Just to add to Chromebuster , there is/was a .NET Framework 4 added in April this year -
Do you have Service Pack 3 installed on your XP - If not then there are several other updates you will have missed - :question:

Thank You -

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

NET Framework versions are independent. Means, they're not upgrades.
Different programs may request different Framework versions.
In fact, you don't even have to have any version installed until some program calls for some.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:46 AM

I'd recommend you keep your config the way you have it, since when installing .net applications, they tend to be not very verbose when presenting errors to the user, and most of the time, the error is in reference to a version of the .net framework missing.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

Broni summed it up accurately.

Any given system does not necessarily need MS.NET installed...but certain programs/drivers/games may request such.

I have two systems...one has various NET packages installed (just experimenting) because I have nLite installed on that system and NET Framework requires a given version or more recent. My other system does not require any version of MS.NET and no version is installed.

The only 2/3 programs that I know of which require a version...nLite, ATI drivers, and MS Visual Basic. I suspect that MS Office might, but that's just a random guess.

My experience is that any program/situation requiring the install...will prompt for it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users