Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost My Os

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SGTKast

SGTKast

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:51 AM

A friend of mine gave me his old computer. When I brought it home and turnded it on it worked fine but, the floppy drive didn't work. I had a spare drive from one of my old computers so I swapped them out. Now, for some reason the computer won't boot. I tried a boot disk and it tells me that no fixed disk is present. I didn't change anything on the hard drive or the boot options (that I know of). WHAT HAPPENED TO MY OPERATING SYSTEM?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:47 AM

When you changed out the floppy, you may have forgot or did not plug the power cords or ide cables back in. If you did not remove them they may have come loose as you were working inside the case.
Look in the BIOS to see if the drive is present. Sometime a bad CMOS battery will effect the motherboard remembering the setings.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 SGTKast

SGTKast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:01 AM

All cables are connected and the drive is present in the BIOS. When I try to boot from the boot disk it tells me that Windows 98 has detected that ther are no valid FAT or FAT32 partitions on drive C. Will I have to reinstall the OS and if so how do I do that if FDISK will not even identify the drive.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:05 AM

Does the floppy work now? Can you boot from a Windows 98 Startup disk? Is that where you are getting the FDISK from?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 SGTKast

SGTKast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:17 AM

Yes, the floppy works now. 98 boot disk is where I am getting FDISK from. I don't understand what happened. Very frustrating! :thumbsup:

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 07:44 AM

If the drive is recognised in the BIOS then Fdisk should see it - I cannot see how they could be otherwise. In the BIOS re-detect the hard drive - change the setting to 'auto' or see if there is a hard-drive auto-detect section and run that.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:45 AM

All cables are connected and the drive is present in the BIOS. When I try to boot from the boot disk it tells me that Windows 98 has detected that ther are no valid FAT or FAT32 partitions on drive C. Will I have to reinstall the OS and if so how do I do that if FDISK will not even identify the drive.

Here you state that it does not detect a partition on C drive, in the first POST you stated it cannot detect a hard drive.
I am leaning towards a hard drive failure. Boot your computer , with the boot disk, to "Minimum" and type in C:\fdisk. What if any partitions are listed.

#8 SGTKast

SGTKast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:21 AM

Thanks all but I found the problem. The hard drive is no good. must have got zapped when I changed the floppy. Changed HD and all is fine. Thank You! :thumbsup:

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:23 AM

No problem. Sometimes it just works like that. Glad you figured it out.

#10 Ask me anything

Ask me anything

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:18 PM

A friend of mine gave me his old computer. When I brought it home and turnded it on it worked fine but, the floppy drive didn't work. I had a spare drive from one of my old computers so I swapped them out. Now, for some reason the computer won't boot. I tried a boot disk and it tells me that no fixed disk is present. I didn't change anything on the hard drive or the boot options (that I know of). WHAT HAPPENED TO MY OPERATING SYSTEM?

check the cables if that dont work try re-installing the OS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users