Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does The Amount Of Ram Affet The Decryption & Burn Times

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:05 AM

I just had my first experience with copy a movie on my new NEC 3550A, and it took two and a half hours to decrypt, and about fifty minutes to burn a copy. Is this normal? When I made a second copy from the first copy, it only took an hour and a half.

My specs. (no snikering please, I'll build a new a PC this spring)

MS K7 Pro mobo @ 600MHz (Slot A :thumbsup: )
AMD Athlon CPU / FSB 100MHz
192MB RAM
200GB Maxtor HDD
300W Antec PSU

Edited by dc3, 04 December 2005 - 12:07 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:54 AM

I can't answer the question about the DVD, but you should think about adding more RAM. You could drop 2 256mb low density sticks inside. You will be amazed how much better it will run.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 06:20 AM

Acklan...I would love nothing more than to add another pair of 256 modules, heck...I would be happy with one 256MB module, but the price for pc100 or pc133 is rather dear, more than newer RAM, so unless I just stumbled across a whale of a deal, I just couldn't afford to invest in this old of a computer. I'm hoping that I can channel some funds toward a new build either this spring or summer.

I have a friend that had 128MB of RAM in his two year old Dell, and I installed a 512MB module, and the speed difference was impressive, so yes, I can appreciate what you are saying.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:58 AM

Do you live in the states? Link.

Edited by acklan, 04 December 2005 - 10:59 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:39 AM

I definitely am going to have to get some more RAM, a friend has 1GB of RAM on her computer, and it took about thirty minutes to do the whole process.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:21 PM

More ram will make it faster.
You're right that the old types of ram got very expensive! For a while it had gotten super cheap.

Makes you want to build a new computer instead!

Try Ebay for some used ram.

What size do you have your paging file set to?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:33 AM

Hi Enthusiast...sorry I didn't realize that I had another response, I'm not receiving any email notification for any of the threads I'm participating in.

I have gone to Ebay and lost my first bid on two Kingston KVR100X64C2/256 modules, I just found several KVR133X64C2/256 for $25. each plus $4.85 shipping. I will call Kingston in the morning to confirm that the pc133 modules will be compatible, they should be, every thing I could find spec wise is the same as the pc100 modules. If they are compatible, I will have 576MB of RAM by the end of the week. :thumbsup: This is the last I will invest in this motherboard, CPU, and RAM as I hope to rebuild either this spring or summer.

You have to realize that I have only been into computers for a year now, and am still on the slow end of the learning curve, so please have patience with this newb question. How do I check to see what size my paging file is set to, and what is the significance of pageing size?

Edited by dc3, 12 December 2005 - 04:38 AM.

#8 Thunder

Thunder

• Members
  • 3,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:57 AM

dc3,

don't forget that ram isn't the only thing to consider and will increase performance only to a certain level.
Your CPU speed is as decisive as anything, and since the old ram modules won't fit in the newer PC's anymore, I'd suggest to keep it at one 256 Mb module.
You probably have an onboard video card that uses up 64 Mb ram as well, so maybe it's cheaper to replace it with a PCI video card and disable onboard video.
Whatever happens, make believe it was intended to ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image - If I have helped you in any way, please consider a donation to help me continue the fight against malware.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Stand Up & Be Counted --> Posted Image <-- And make a difference

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:28 AM

dc3, BMThor makes a good point. You should concider a video upgraded. I have Jaton nVidia MX400 64mb PCI cards in all of my computers. It has made a difference.
I thought you had a 128mb, and 64mb chip in your system? You have 2-128mb chips and 64mb onboard video?
I have to respectfully disagree with BMThor. The more the better. Like we discussed earlier with all the AV and AS software needed to protect your computer memory is critical. My W2k machine eats 240mb at boot just to run the back ground applications. XP is over 300mb. That doesn't even take into concideration that much less swapfile that will be used.
The only difference is, if your computer will support 3-256mb chips thats the route I would go. At $25 it's cheap and is the one single thing that will increase the preformance of a PC100 computer.
Just my thoughts.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:23 PM

Acklan...every thing that I have learned so far coincides with what you are saying, the video card in my computer is a 3dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo3 (16 MB), which the person who built this computer explained was pretty much a relic at the time he built the pc six years ago, so I can see where there may be some validity to BMThors' statement. Would it make any difference in changing the video card out, I will need a PCI video card when I do my re-build later anyway, and if so, is the Jaton nVidia MX400 what you would suggest?

I just found out that the KVR133X64C2/256 will not underclock to pc100, back to the hunt.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:59 PM

I would suggest you look on ebay for low density16 chip double side PC100 RAM. If you look you can find 5 stick for about $100/!0 shipping. Thats what I did.
The MX400 nVidia chipset is in several cards and for the machine you have is a good value. You can't high end game so no need to put a card that wil out leg your chip. 64mb is a perfect match for your computer. If you see a 128mb card for a steal don't pass it up but 64 will do all you need. Important it will allow you to run a larger monitor with more color and a higher refresh rate (reduces eye strain). When you buy, be sure and ask if it is PCI or AGP. AGP will be about $10 cheaper. I bought the Jaton because they were 6 for $150/$0 shipping.
I have a simple approach to PC100 computers. Buy cheap and upgrade cheaper. I have 13 computers (more when I'm frisky) for the kids and my hobby and I don't think I have more than $125 in any of them. Play the wait game. You waited this long, waiting a little longer for the right deal won't hurt you

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:51 PM

Thanks acklan...once again you sound like the voice of wisdom, I will do as you suggest, and a AGP board will work fine, not only on this board, but the board I plan on using in my rebuild.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:01 PM

Remember that it's nice to have two computers. I have four at my desk. One is just for trying new software I download to make sure it does not have a payload or conflicts with moy other programs. Lots of uses for an second cheap computer. Use it to download your email with a Live flavor of linux so if you get a virus you reboot, and there is no virus.
Sorry I got off topic again.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:45 PM

One thing to keep in mind.

You didn't say where you were, but here in Florida I have seen some new computers advertised for two to three hundred dollars.

Now, they come with Linux op systems, but they are new technology.

Here's one ad from Circuit City - a major retailer in the USA.

COMPAQ Presario Desktop PC featuring AMD Sempron™ Processor 3400+
save $250

After $100 in Mfr. & $150 Circuit City Mail-in Rebates†
(Reg. 549.99)
thru Dec 17
• 256MB DDR-SDRAM memory
• 80GB hard drive & CD-RW
• 16" viewable image area flat screen monitor

Doesn't mention the op system - probably Linspire or some other Linux base system.

Now, I am not necessarily recommending you buy this, but if you start buying a video card, memory, adding ram, etc, you will soon be close to or up to or even over the price you could buy a new one for.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:50 PM

The paging file sort of does what ram does only slower. It allows bytes to be temporarily stored while the op system is moving things around, but being on the hard drive, it is slower than ram.

Rule of thumb is that the paging file (or sometimes called swap file) size should be one and a half times your ram.

The paging file sort of does what ram does only slower. It allows bytes to be temporarily stored while the op system is moving things around, but being on the hard drive, it is slower than ram.

Rule of thumb is that the paging file (or sometimes called swap file) size should be one and a half times your ram.

Edited by Enthusiast, 12 December 2005 - 08:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users