Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install of XP dual boot fails

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kgash

kgash

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

I just got a new machine with Windows 7 64 bit. I have a 2nd HDD (1TB) installed and I attempted to install XP on it.
The installation proceeded fine until the Reboot step. Instead of opening the XP install sequence I got a message telling me that
"a Disk Error Occurred. Press Ctrl-alt-del To Restart"
I tried twice, even formatting (quick)the disk but no joy. Since the XP installation reset the boot loader, I had to use the Win 7 disk to reset it.
I have installed a second disk dual boot XP on Vista systems so I don't think that it is related to Win 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

Follow Brink's tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 kgash

kgash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:44 PM

Follow Brink's tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

Thanks for your quick response. I followed these same instructions from another source. The only thing I noted that was different was the possible need to install SATA drivers.
Since the XP install program found the D drive ok, and the install proceeded to load all of the XP files to the HDD SATA seemed to be working (I did a dual boot with a Vista system with SATA just fine.) When I rebooted into Win7, I found the Windows folder with all its files on the second drive.
This is a brand new system and I wonder if any BIOS setting needs to be changed or if the drive itself is faulty.

#4 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:07 PM

The installation proceeded fine until the Reboot step. Instead of opening the XP install sequence I got a message telling me that

Try this.
When it gets to the reboot stage, do not let it proceed on its own. Instead bring up your one time boot menu and select the drive the xp install is on.

#5 kgash

kgash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:05 PM

Try this.
When it gets to the reboot stage, do not let it proceed on its own. Instead bring up your one time boot menu and select the drive the xp install is on.

I'm not sure what you mean by "one time boot menu". Presuming that I do this, then what?

#6 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

When you turn on your computer your screen will show several options, they are only there briefly so you have to act quickly.

They vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but will be something like:

<ESC>boot menu <F2>setup <F10>recovery etc.

You need to select the one that brings up your boot menu. (Note that this is not the same as the boot options that you access by pressing F8)

This will present you with a list of drives to choose from. Select the one that you are doing the new xp install on and let it finish the reboot

#7 kgash

kgash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

When you turn on your computer your screen will show several options, they are only there briefly so you have to act quickly.

They vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but will be something like:

<ESC>boot menu <F2>setup <F10>recovery etc.

You need to select the one that brings up your boot menu. (Note that this is not the same as the boot options that you access by pressing F8)

This will present you with a list of drives to choose from. Select the one that you are doing the new xp install on and let it finish the reboot

Got it. When I selected the boot drive, I got a different error message.
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

#8 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

Before you started the install did you change the boot order in your bios to have the CD drive boot first?

Edited by PolaBar, 12 December 2010 - 06:52 PM.

#9 kgash

kgash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:06 PM

Before you started the install did you change the boot order in your bios to have the CD drive boot first?

As I have stated, the computer boots correctly from the XP Pro install disk and the files load correctly onto the hard disk. The problem occurs when the installation is at the point where is says Starting Windows and reboots. That is when I get: A disk error Occurred. Press Ctrl-alt-del To Restart. If I use Boot Menu to force the boot from the second drive, I get DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.
This seems to indicate that somehow the boot information is not installed correctly of\n the drive. I have tried 2 different XP Pro install disks.
This is something I have done numbers of times on other machines.

#10 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

Next best guess would be to run a MBR repair and start over.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users