Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greasemonkey for Firefox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John Bull

John Bull

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:23 PM

I have read many tributes given to Greasemonkey on the net. It appears to be a great facility provided by Mozilla as an add-on to Firefox providing the user with personal program command flexibility.

Dealing with JS script is not for amateurs. Inserting JS scripts into Windows is tampering with the basic language of operation.

We all have sophisticated AV and Firewall systems plus a selected package of other programs to prevent contamination of our PC`s. Mine is totally clean and I like it that way. We have NoScript that protects us against script threats and here we go letting any cobbled up script walk right in by invitation. A million scripts can be pasted into Greasemonkey from anywhere on the net, from sites to Forum posts. A popular source is http://userscripts.org/.

The percentage of users who write their own scripts is infinitesimal.

Question ? How on Earth can any responsible user glibly download Greasemonkey and then start placing dubious scripts concocted by unknown John Doe`s from China to Timbuktu into their PC`s to create any kind of havoc or mayhem that the script writer desires ? The prospect seems daunting. A Malware script could wreck a system beyond repair.

Can anybody tell me why an organisation like Mozilla provides a facility that for 99% of users who know nothing about scripts, is a potentially highly dangerous one and provides a direct by-pass to all our security programs ?

I hope the answers given to this thread offer a logical explanation, because if not, then the whole matter of having a program like Greasemonkey provided by a major browser supplier is beyond belief.

John Bull

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

A few quick answers to your questions.

1) Mozilla does not make Greasemonkey, it's merely in the Firefox Add-ons section. It's developed by a 3rd party. Mozilla exercises about as much control over FireFox Add-ons as Google does over Android Market. This is after all Open Source Software. Besides there are other "Augmented Browsing" Add-Ons for IE, Chrome (runs GreaseMonkey scripts natively), and Opera8+(allows scripting)

2)Many people can use rudimentary Javascript and program said Add-On to do what they'd like instead of using other peoples scripts but scripts are out there for those who would like to use "AB" and can't script.

3)What any user installs on his/her PC is strictly up to them. There are far worse things one could install. No need to bash people who like the "AB" experience, sometimes it's handy.

Posted Image

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

GreaseMonkey scripts are not endorsed by Mozilla. They're handled by Userscripts.org.
Only GreaseMonkey add-on, which lets you use scripts is approved by Mozilla.
Some scripts, if they work well, will eventually get approved by Mozilla as add-ons.
Generally, we can treat those scripts as add-ons beta.

All scripts have to be approved by Userscripts.org before being posted in public, so they're rather safe.
However...
I used to use some GreaseMonkey scripts, but since they're not fully developed, many of them will cause memory leak, slowing Firefox down.
Eventually, I opted out.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 John Bull

John Bull
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:55 AM

Those replies are impeccable and explain the Greasemonkey/scripts controversy clearly.

I thank you for that explanation and assure you I now have a better understanding of this matter. I myself will leave Greasemonkey alone, I do not need it, but it does seem a great personal and flexible facility for others providing that some knowledge of scripts is present and an intelligent level of caution exercised.

Thank you again.
John

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users