Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New crosshair IV and System - no post?!?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 knighterrant02

knighterrant02

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

Hi im new here so sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I recently built a new system powerful enough to handle video editing. I had it up and running yesterday. But it started to freeze every 15min or so. The only thing i had added was my wifi card, so i opened the case to remove it. Once i removed it, it wouldn't boot and i don't get any post beeps or a signal to the monitors.

System:

MB - Crosshair IV Formula AMD
Mem: DDR3 1333MHz 4 GB X2
CPU: Phenom II X4 3.2GHZ AM3
Video: Radeon HD 5870 1GB DDR
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H70

I've tried adding the card again, but still no sucess. From what i can tell everything on the board is getting power, the fans are running, the cpu and ram lights on the board light up, the video card fan is running and the SSD C: disk lights up.

I moved the memory to the two empty slots, incase it was a memory slot issue (this happened on my last machine) and now i'm getting a "Bad BIOS chksum" error message. I've reset the C MOS via the switch at the back, but still no luck. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:01 PM

If you used an old case...you probably have the same CMOS battery.

I would replace that, since it can affect hardware. I would also reseat everything and recheck all connections.

You went through a day full of freezes...a bad/weak PSU could cause such on a new build, IMO.

Any error messages amidst yesterday's problems?

Louis

#3 knighterrant02

knighterrant02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

Hi Louis, thanks for the reply. No, its a new case, an Antec P183 EU PC CASE if it helps. The PSU is a Hiper Type R Mk-II 680W.

The system worked fine for the first two days, when i added the wifi card and started installing basic programes (anti-virus, pdf reader, malware removers, etc)then i started to get freezes, they weren't crashes, i didn't get any dump files.

I'll try re situationg everything now. Thanks, i'll let you know who it goes.

#4 knighterrant02

knighterrant02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

ok i removed and put back in the HD SATA and power connections, MB power + fan connections, video card, and i also removed power cord and removed the CMOS battery to reset the CMOS, and used the cleared CMOS switch near the I/O ports at the back.

I still get this msg on screen...

Attached Files

#5 knighterrant02

knighterrant02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:42 PM

I've copied over the C4F.ROM file from the install cd to a FAT32 formated usb key, and inseted it into the I/O panel on the motherboard, but it still cycles through the msg bellow... and doesn't recognise the USB or the CD-Rom when the cd is in??

Boot block Compatible Ver.000
Bad BIOS checksum. Starting BIOS Recovery
Checking for CD rom . . .
CD not found
Checking for USB . .
USB not found
CD not found
Checking for USB . .
USB not found
CD not found

I've been through a few setups before but i've never had this error, and i'm starting to freak out a little, so any tips or pointers would be good.

Edited by knighterrant02, 12 December 2010 - 08:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users