Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Shield - HOSTS file

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 G Force

G Force

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:44 AM

Sorry, I realize this post is in the wrong forum... please ignore and I'll find somewhere else to post it

--------------

Hi,

I unfortunately was infected with the Security Shield virus earlier today, but was able to remove it thanks to your very helpful uninstall guide at (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-my-security-shield). However, I had an issue when I got to Step 18. Windows would not allow me to save the new HOSTS file at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS and instead forced me to save it in the users folder. Is it a problem that I no longer have my HOSTS file saved in the original location?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by G Force, 12 December 2010 - 11:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:18 PM

Were you able to remove the HOSTS file after running the batch file listed in step 17?

#3 G Force

G Force
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:04 PM

Yes, I was able to remove it without a problem. The only issue was that it then wouldn't allow me to save it to the same location in the subsequent step (hence having to save it in the users directory instead). Not sure if this is an issue, as everything now seems to be functioning properly. Do you think that this is a problem?

Thanks again!

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

Is your account an administrator on the machine? I don't think this is a problem, but rather a permission issue. What you can do is start your browser as an administrator, save the file to the location, and the close the browser so it is not running in the higher permission level anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users