Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display/ Resolution Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rizlly

rizlly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

Hi all. So I turned on my laptop (Dell inspiron e1505, Vista Home ed, W/ NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 graphics driver) and the screen was divided into 4 quadrants, with the same thing on each. After 2 restarts, its back to full screen, yet the resolution won't go above 1024 x 768.

System info on the graphics card reads "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

Also, there is a reported problem with Microsoft ISATAP Adapter 2, which reads "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

Not sure what the second thing is. Any ideas on what the problem is or how to fix it? The laptop is a couple months shy of being 4 years old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rizlly

rizlly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

I tried re-installing the graphics card driver, but no dice.

Also, oddly, my computer has refused to hibernate today.

Seem like two unrelated problems however they both appeared on the same day.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be much obliged.

cheers

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:46 AM

Well, it looks your GFX card is failing.

If you could get a laptop technician to remove the GFX card and boot from the onboard graphics/replacement card, you could positively confirm the same.

A driver related issued would have been resolved upon reinstallation. Perhaps, you could update the driver to the latest version available, to see if it makes a difference?
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:05 AM

Windows will disable hibernation and sleep states if it cannot be sure a device will recover from the hibernation/sleep.

The Code 31 with the ISATAP Adapter is a Vista problem. Microsoft say:

"You can safely ignore this error message. This error message does not indicate a problem with the adapter. The adapter will continue to work correctly."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932520

I agree with ReviverSoft's suggestion that a driver update could help with the Code 43, but if the existing driver installation is damaged, it could be that your re-install simply inherited the same problem. (An update might too.) One thing to try could be un-install the drivers, re-boot and then try a re-install.

If drivers don't help, then it seems to be a hardware problem, and at least if you want to go that far, the laptop has a replaceable video card.

Edited by Platypus, 13 December 2010 - 07:06 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 rizlly

rizlly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

Thanks guys. I tried uninstalling the drivers, even tried system restore, to no avail. I guess it is a problem with the physical card.

I really appreciate your help. I'm going to look into new graphics cards.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users