Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't reformat netbook due to BSOD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Aniki15

Aniki15

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

Here goes my story:

1. First time I encountered an error is when my brother can't use the bluetooth dongle on his netbook while I can perfectly use the bluetooth on mine.

2. My sister was simply browsing online when suddely, a bluescreen appeared on that netbook. I simply pressed the power button and restarted it.

3. Check the events viewer the next day, saw that bsod had failed_Genuine_Intel...blah blah blah...(i cant remember since it was deleted when i failed reformatting). Installed a Java app, updated Mozilla Browser. Runs normally.

4. The next day, my mother said that she cant open that netbook since whenever she opened it, a bsod appears repeatedly. I was at school so i wasn't able to see the error message but she said it was something about a uninstalling a device driver.

Here's what i did when i went home:
1. i tried to open it in safe mode, but it wont appear on startup, bsod appeares.
2. i change the booth mode, restarted it, then the options for safe mode appeared
3. it took ages for the login window appears, so i shut it down.
4. i tried to open it in safe mode again, lucky i got up until login.
5. i use system restore, it almost hang, suddenly restarted, bsod reappeared.
6. i open it in safe mode, windows tells me system restore is successful.
7. i restarted it, bsod reappeared. Repeatedly entered in safemode.
8. i entered in safe mode, again, made a back-up of the files.
9. i tried to reformat windows using my trusty copy of windows, change the boot settings, and Windows loaded the files, bsod appeared.
10. i repeated the process, windows loaded the files, windows setup appeared (at last), custome install, deleted a disk partition. bsod appeared, repeated it again and again.
11. i repeated the process, deleted all disk partition (successfully), and went to the next page. After windows finished copying the files, when it started expanding Windows file...it went into bsod,
12. Still did number 11 many times but got bsod on the second process where windows start to expand files.
13. I got pissed so I shut it down, packed it up nicely, and until now, havent touched it.

The netboook's spec are the following:
-eMachine eM350 intel atom @ 1.66Ghz
-RAM: 1 gb
-hd: 160 gb
-Windows 7 Ultimate
-no newly installed hardware driver etc

Random BSOD remembered:
-No page...blah blah
-driver not less or equal
-uncorrectable hardware error

Sorry if my post was not really detailed...

Edited by Aniki15, 12 December 2010 - 09:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Computers can be frustrating pieces of equipment when they act up huh? :whistle:

Well lets see if the folks here at Bleepingcomputer can find a solution.

Most BSOD happen while drivers are loaded into memory and Windows is up and running.

When a BSOD happens when the system is installing an operating system, there are different factors that come into play here.

Bad RAM or an issue with RAM will cause issues during the installation procedure.

The files needed to install the OS are called into the Random Access Memory (RAM) where they are stored until needed or called upon by the caller.

You only have one RAM stick of 1 GB, Windows 7 actually requires 2 GB to run stable.

Double check this RAM stick to make sure it is making full electrical contact with its mating surface.

If your RAM is NOT the issue here, you may want to check the CPU and its heat sink for dust accumulation.

Dust built up in the cooling fins of the heat sink can prevent heat from escaping from the CPU into the air.

With laptops, it does not take much dust to cause problems, there isn't much air space to begin with.

Please check the conditions above and post back if correcting those issues has resolved your BSOD problems.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 December 2010 - 07:35 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

i tried to reformat windows using my trusty copy of windows

Is this a OEM or retail copy of Windows 7?

One other possibility is a hdd problem. If you can find out who the manufacturer is you can download their diagnostic tool and make CD that you can boot from to run the test. If there is a long and short test run the long test.

AS MrBruce pointed out, you only have the one module for a total of 1GB of RAM. If you add another 1GB module with the exact specification you will be able to run the RAM in dual channel. The addition of another GB of RAM will make a noticeable difference in the computer's performance, but running it in dual channel will make it run even faster.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Aniki15

Aniki15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

You only have one RAM stick of 1 GB, Windows 7 actually requires 2 GB to run stable.

I tried to use other OS aside from Windows 7 Ultimate. One user suggested that I use Windows XP Pro or a version that most suits netbook... and it actually works!!

#5 Aniki15

Aniki15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:45 AM

Is this a OEM or retail copy of Windows 7?

Yes sir, it is a retail copy of Windows 7.

If you add another 1GB module with the exact specification you will be able to run the RAM in dual channel. The addition of another GB of RAM will make a noticeable difference in the computer's performance, but running it in dual channel will make it run even faster.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try this one out :D

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

I wasn't asking about the validity of your operating system, I was asking if this was a OEM or retail copy of the operating system.

There are several versions of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system. OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer," and these versions are sold to computer system builders like Dell or Gateway. These versions have a few limitations like support and licensing. OEM versions are tied to the original computer the operating system is installed on, so you cannot use it on another machine. Retail versions of Windows XP are fully supported, and you can install it on any machine. You can detect an OEM version of Windows XP by viewing the packaging or the hologram on the installation CD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Aniki15

Aniki15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

I wasn't asking about the validity of your operating system, I was asking if this was a OEM or retail copy of the operating system.

Yes, sir. I knew about that :lol:
There is no OEM on my netbook and I just downloaded the OS direct from the Microsoft Website. I suppose that this is a retail copy. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users