Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Placement Advice Needed?.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

The parts for my first self build will be arriving tomorrow and I have just been revising the assembly process in my head for any eventual problems and realised that I knew very little about fan placement. I have bought the Xigmatic case seen in the link below which comes with a 120mm fan already positioned in the front of the box. Reading the reviews on this box it was mentioned that one of the reviewers had added two blue LED fans to his box. Thinking that was a good idea I also bought two blue LED fans with my order from Ebuyer. I had intended to buy 2 x 120mm but they were sold out so I settled for two 80mm ones instead. What would be the bes way to set up these fans?. I thought about moving the 120mm supplied case fan to the side panel blowing air from the outside onto the motherboard and processor and placing the two 80mm colored LED fans front and back extracting the air from inside the case. Would this be acceptable or is there a better solution?. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/xigmatek-asgard-black-mid-tower-atx-case-with-4x525-6x35-bays-inc-120mm-fan-no-psu
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/234949
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

Well, if the side panel has a mounting for 120 mm fan, then that would work pretty well. Ideally, you want the air moving from the front of the case back, so a intake in the front is a must, and a exhaust in the back is a must. Some people like having their side fans blowing out, I don't usually but a lot also depends on your cooling. If the Side mount on the fan mounts over the CPU heatsink, then you need to look at what direction the fan on the heatsink is blowing-if it is blowing out towards the outside of the case, (which most do) then the side fan needs to be an exhaust, otherwise you will just be blowing hot air back onto the heatsink. If the heatsink fan is blowing downwards into the heatsink, then you need it to be an intake fan to blow cool air onto the heatsink.

As far as side fans go though, If I have the option I actually dont like putting fans over the heatsink if there is another side mount over the video card. If there is one over the video card, I would put the 120 mm there, blowing in, it will cool the video card and any excess air will get sucked into the bottom of the heatsink and out the exhaust port over the top of the CPU. Thats just my 2 cents though.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

I was talking to my son earlier and he said that the rear fan should be an extraction unit and the front fan should draw cold air into the box, so as the extractor fan is the 120mm one he reckons I should mount both 80mm fans on the front of the box if possible and have them both pushing air in.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

That would work to-your son is right, like I explained it is best to have air coming in from the front and out the back. So any fan in the front should be intake, any fan in the rear should be exhaust. Side fans arnt always needed, but can vary dependant on their locaion on the side in relation to other hardware and the fans inside. It may be difficult however, to mount both 80 mm in the front of the case, theyre not always set up like that-what you might try doing is mounting the 120 mm in the rear as an exhaust, a 80 mm in the front as an intake, and put the other on the side as either a intake or exhaust using the criteria I explained in above post. You can also experiment with what works best-put them in one spot, and then move them around in a week to see which configuration works better then the other.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:06 PM

That is a better thought out case than some are, for cooling. What I found happening was that the front fan blew air into the box into the lower portion of the case. The video card and side fan shroud, as well as (at the time) IDE cables blocked all the air flow to the rear fan mounted at the top. I ended up casing the two hard drives in drive fans, which got the air flow into the top of the case as well, and I threw out the fan shroud.

It can get a bit noisy when the drive fans need replacing, and dust can be an issue if there is more air coming in than going out, but finally, everything is cool.

#6 Jaksueaj

Jaksueaj

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:40 AM

thanks for this information..

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:17 AM

Thanks again folks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users