Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard's not working.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 norris123

norris123

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:19 AM

Hello everyone. :) I got a similar problem with hers though mine is not on PC.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic366604.html

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have an Acer 4730z laptop.

I don't know why but while browsing the internet, it suddenly happened. I can't use the keyboard right. I can't type web addresses. Shortcuts like Open executes by pressing O without the Ctrl key. This happens with X S V A and other keys that is used in shortcuts. Except for these keys, no other response happens when I press the keyboard. I can't use the on screen keyboard either.

While I was trying to shut down the system and close the windows, I can't select an individual tab in the taskbar. They group like similar tabs even though they are different applications.

I tried to restart but nothing happened. I was trying to boot in safe mode but I can't because the arrow keys won't work.I can still use my laptop but by just using the mouse.

Something happened I think 2 weeks before that. My system got a virus but I was able to remove it. (I think.) After that I wasn't able to bring my laptop. I left it in good shape. I'm just afraid that I left in on standby for that whole week I was gone. I also noticed that when my laptop is on standby, light blinks more faster than it used to be.

I'm more hopeful that it's just another virus infestation than a problem with my motherboard. :(

I'm looking forward that someone could help me. :(

Thank you. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:36 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

If it is possible, can you navigate to the control panel, then device manager.

Look for keyboards.

Expand keyboards and right click this icon and choose properties.

Look for a tab called driver, then click the button called driver details.

Type back what you see in the box for .sys named files. (note if you do not have show known file extensions, the files may not have .sys at the end of them, just reply back with what files you see listed here.)

In this same area is a button called update driver, you can try using this to hopefully correct the problem if it is driver related.

There is also an option in the menu just as you right click the keyboard in properties, that says update driver software, you can use that option as well.

Can I also ask you what programs you used to scan the computer with for virus removal and if you could, what virus was the computer infected with?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Edit: Added more information to text.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 December 2010 - 09:45 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 norris123

norris123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for your response. :)

I already tried updating the keyboard's driver but it's up to date.
Here are the .sys files.
C:\Windows\System32\DKbFltr.sys
C:\Windows\System32\i8042prt.sys
C:\Windows\System32\kbdclass.sys

Regarding with the programs I used, it's MBAM and Avira. I just scanned today with MBAM and there are 5 viruses found.

C:\Windows\System32\8BD793\cnvpe.fne - worm. autorun
C:\Windows\System32\8BD793\dp1.fne - worm. autorun
C:\Windows\System32\8BD793\HtmlView.fne - hacktool.patcher
C:\Windows\System32\8BD793\internet.fne - hacktool.patcher
C:\Windows\System32\8BD793\irnln.fnr - trojan.agent

During the scan, I can type with letters but when I have pressed the shift key, the problem came back. Moreover, the CD-rom suddenly opened by itself and it reads once in a while even though there's no CD in it.

Anyway, I restarted the system but the problem is still there. I'm currently scanning the system with Avira. I also have Super Anti Spyware but it won't open for unknown reasons.

Edited by norris123, 12 December 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:55 AM

Hello, it appears you may have a recurring infection which is being caused by a malicious program that is installed on your computer.

Here is what I suggest.

Run MalwareBytes again, keep the log handy where you can gain quick access to it.

Click this link and read the instructions on this page.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

This page above mentions running a few programs that create logs, once you have these logs and your MalwareBytes log, post those logs into this forum here all into one post. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

Please be descriptive as possible with your topic title and a short explanation at the top of your post as to what problems you are experiencing.

Important:Please copy the URL of this thread into your post so that this topic may be closed to avoid any confustion.

Once your topic is posted, please be patient for a reply from a trained malware response team member of Bleepingcomputer.

Best of luck to you.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 15 December 2010 - 01:06 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users