Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too Many Windows XP Processes Running

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sbyrnesy

sbyrnesy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:02 AM

Can someone please help me analyze the attached log file of my running processes? I used "HijackThis" in order to pull this list together. I have run msconfig to remove unnecessary items from my startup, have run Spybot S&D and do not seem to have any spyware, and have uninstalled all programs that I do not use. I still have over 60 processes running. Please help.

Thanks,
sbyrnesy

EDIT: Removed HJT log, which is a malware tool. No evidence of a malware situation, IMO ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2010 - 06:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:24 AM

Your title...indicates nothing that smacks of malware, IMO, so I have removed your HJT log.

HJT logs are used only in the malware forums, they are not typical tools used for troubleshooting system/user issues that have nothing to do with malware.

Can you provide more details/specifics concerning your situation?

System manufacturer and model?

What do you see as "the problem" and why?

A screenshot of processes listed under Task Manager?

Louis

#3 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:24 AM

Well, 60 processes is a lot. I normally have about half that amount (XP Home SP2). You might take a look at www.blackviper.com for good information on what processes aren't needed.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:25 AM

Well...I'll just add a note that the number of processes running at any time...is totally dependent on the user and what programs/services he/she chooses to install and allow to run.

It's whatever you can live with, regarding such on your system. On my systems, I would doubt if the number of processes ever exceeds 35 or so. A quick tally reveals that I have 40 reflected right now, with 6 IE windows open.

Louis

#5 sbyrnesy

sbyrnesy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:44 AM

I used the Hijack tool after advice from some other forums, but I guess it doesn't apply. I have attached a print screen of my processes. If anyone sees anything that looks unnecessary, please let me know.

Thanks for the responses.

Attached Files

#6 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

That doesn't looka s horrible as it might, I would go to Systernal and download Autoruns if it really bothers you. Most of the ones are going to be in LogON or Internet

Then you can use the BC Startups File to decide which one you want to have start or not.

I know that ISUSPM.exe is sort of redundant. I usually turn it off.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

Most of the items we normally consider "startups" will be on the Logon tab of Autoruns. I suggest sticking to that tab and not fooling with items on any of the other tabs of Autoruns.

Louis

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:36 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users