Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card choice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick your favorite (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Video card you would get

1. AMD Radeon 6870 (2 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. GTx 470 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. GTx 480 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. GTX 580 (2 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 arknaz

arknaz

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:12 AM

Well, I'm going to be buying a new desktop // "building"/customizing online not ordering parts and self building, and am stuck trying to figure out what card I want for video. Getting an I7 950 as the processor, and most likely getting it from cyberpowerpc as I have stuff from them and they have much better choices then Dell. Planning on buying it in a few months, but I like to research the heck out of a product before buying it. So far after just flipping through the choices I picked out http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1CVW95 as the specs so far.

Main things I am keeping is the processor and ram settings. Not too sure which motherboard would be best either and same for video card.

I at first was thinking about doing Dual GTX 470, or dual 6870's. It shows that the dual 470 would have better FPS (177 vs the 2x6870 of 139) but Idk if that means anything.

I was also comparing the 580 and the 6870 at http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=637&card2=635 and it looks like the 6870 would be better for gaming from the more then double shader.

I also was looking at http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html which shows each of those (580, 6870, and 470 as in the top 10 so either way its gonna be a good card)

-Money is somewhat of an issue, but if spending that extra $50 or 100 would be well worth it then I'm down with that.

-Uses. I mainly want it as a gamer/media platform. I do photo/video editing and games (want to get the newer COD since my current laptop (xps m140) cant play too much at high detail since its so old and has an integrated video card. I also may want to later on get dual monitors to use and/or get a second card of the same one (if i get the 580 get a second one later on to dual with).

It seems that all 3 are good, just the 580 > 470 and the 6870 > 470. Which would be the best bang for the buck

Whats your opinions on them? Which would be best for a gamer/video editor? Crysis, Fear, MW2 as FPS's, only MMO is just WoW on a private server so any card can play that one :P, and Possibly starcraft/diablo III or newer games. Also on the motherboard if the one thats in that link isn't the greatest.

-Thanks in advanced

-Scott

Edited by arknaz, 12 December 2010 - 12:33 AM.

Samsung Chromebook +
  • Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz - Replaced with I7 3770k 3.5Ghz
  • 80G SSD, 640G/1TB/3TB Sata  
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 
  • 16g G.Skill Sniper DDR3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:08 AM

Well, keep this in mind, that once you get past 70-80 fps you won't be able to tell the difference-you literally, without having a program like fraps, cannot see the difference between 140 fps or 200 fps, so if the card you choose will play the game maxed out at 70 fps then I would say it is more then worth the money. In my mind, 30 fps is playable, with 50-60+ being preferable. They are all excellent cards, it all depends on what your after. If your building a intel CPU like you have said you are going to, you can find a motherboard that supports both crossfire and SLI pretty easy, that way if you get one, and arnt happy with it you can switch later.

I love the "major brand powered by AMD" that has me worried, I personally would like to know exactly what brand it is. However, that being said, I am biased AMD, I have been using ATI cards for ages and still run them, love them to death, I tend to prefer Saphire cards as first choice with ASUS coming in second. That being said, NVIDIA has some awesome 3D technology with 3d vision and glasses-had a friend with a 470 in his system and had that set up, and I loved it-almost enough to switch to NVIDIA. Almost lol.

Going with the AMD side, the 69xx series should be coming out soon, and will blow away the 6870 or the 470 if you want to wait until it does. Otherwise, my opinion is 2 6870s-but the nvidia cards wouldn't be a bad choice either, its really all personal preference.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 arknaz

arknaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

Yeah I know once it hits a certain point FPS is worthless hah. I guess my "main" question was if either of those were...more inclined to video games then the other (thats just what ive heard that NVIDIA is more of a gaming video card).

The other thing, I did hear the new 69XX is coming out, but i really dont need the best cards out there, since like you said once it hits that high you cant tell a difference.

The other question, do games even matter for having 2 video cards?..the motherboard I was looking at has the slots for up to 3 SLI/crossfire cards but I've heard that games don't really utilize it that much and its more designed for having multiple monitors (1card for one screen or something). I was kinda planning on maybe just getting the 6870 or just the 470 and In a few months (after i get it in a few months) get a second card of the same kind when the prices drop. Ive never even used a system with dual/2 video cards so I have no experience in how the handle/if it would be a better setup then a set card.

I probably would go with the 580 but its just too expensive right now lol...maybe once the new cards come out it will drop, but again I dont need THE best, just one up in that range, which both the 6870 and 470s are.

Anyone use 2 video cards that can explain why it is a better setup?

-Thanks for the post ^^

-Scott
Samsung Chromebook +
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

using one card for one screen and another for another screen really isnt SLI or corssfire, its just 2 seperate cards doing two seperate things and rather pointless-Im currently running dual monitors off of a single ATI 4890. Using dual GPUs boosts your graphics performance, improves physics, and image quality, and not all games can fully utilize them no, but many games like Crysis or Battlefield bad company 2 will use them, and you plan on doing high end graphical editing such as computer game design, it is almost a must to have multiple GPUs. I do all my gaming on a single GPU solution-bfbc2 being the main one, so its not needed, but it does improve your graphics quite a bit. The negative is it does take away from your CPU power-but not drastically, and if you have a good high end CPU you will never even notice. My old card is a 3870 x2-which is basically, 2 overclocked 3870s crossfired together onto one video card, and it performed wonderfully, almost nearly matched a ATI 4850 I have in performance, so basiclaly, two 3870s will match a single 4850 in performance, while a 4850 will blow away a single 3870 without even breaking a sweat, if that gives you any idea about the performance increase As far as better for gaming, eh it really depends. NVIDIA has 3dvision, which ATI doesn't, which is really kinda cool and I like that feature, however, that aside, without 3d vision I have always enjoyed the image quality of ATI cards over NVIDIA cards.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 arknaz

arknaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:06 AM

Hum...I think I am going to go the nvidia route. So far im thinking of the 470 1.2g gtx card, but there is also a 460 2g gtx card...would it be worth it to get that extra .8g of vram? The benchmark shows the 470 as rank 5 where as the 460 as rank 15...Would that extra vram make up for the...idk speed of the card between the 470 and 460?
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=632&card2=628 site only shows a 460 with 1g so cant compare the 2g card with it

I do also see the 6970 now in the choice list if that is better, dont see any info on its speed or anything, it also has 2g of vram, which from what ive heard helps in video games a LOT.

-Thanks for all the imput, like i said, its 2 months off before id get it, so i got time, but just want to research them
Samsung Chromebook +
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 

#6 LT Dan

LT Dan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:13 AM

If you search 460 vs 470 etc you will find a lot of folks online seem to prefer the 460. I like the Gigabyte OC model even though I don't over clock it.
Two fans, lots of copper and doesn't take away from the power supply that much. I've built an sli set up played on a crossfire set up and it all depends on the game.
One of my favorite, and to me, best written game was Far Cry. I ran that game on everything. Stable and transparent. Plus, some of the mods folks made were amazing.
Right now I'm running an ATI Radeon 9800 pro, very old in todays world. I just love that card. My system builds for my business, I go with Gigabyte 460. Couple reasons,
if someone wants to overclock, they can, i don't. Also, two of them together doesn't hurt the piggy bank too much. Make sure you have good cooling, highend power supply.
I'd suggest the 460 route. Also, tweak your OS for game play without hurting security. I like to borrow a game before buying it if possible. Reason is, some games even though they say they
are made for a brand/card doesn't mean it's going to do good. Check that out as much as you can online, read reviews etc. Keep the drive clean and defragged. Hope this helps.

Edited by LT Dan, 29 December 2010 - 11:13 AM.

Elvis has left the buidling...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users