Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File encryption for flash drives?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

Is their any encryption programs I can store on my flash drive, that will make certain files inaccessible with out a password.

Of if any one can suggest a program that can function in both a Win and a Mac OSX environment and provides a strong encryption method for some sensitive files.

(Moderator edit: modified and expanded Topic Title. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 14 December 2010 - 11:27 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:56 AM

Hi I suggest TrueCrypt, cross platform, free and well regarded.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

This from their FAQ: " is there any way ('backdoor') to recover the files from my TrueCrypt volume? TrueCrypt does not allow recovery of any encrypted data without knowing the correct password or key. We cannot recover your data because we do not know and cannot determine the password you chose or the key you generated using TrueCrypt. The only way to recover your files is to try to "crack" the password or the key, but it could take thousands or millions of years (depending on the length and quality of the password or keyfiles, on the software/hardware performance, algorithms, and other factors). If you find this hard to believe, consider the fact that even the FBI was not able to decrypt a TrueCrypt volume after a year of trying."

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:00 AM

If you can't install TrueCrypt on all the machines on which you want to use your USB stick, use a ZIP container with encryption.

Put all your files to protect in a ZIP container and encrypt it with AES (that's an encryption option of your compression utility).
The names of your files will still be visible when someone opens the ZIP file, but the content not. The password is needed to view the content.
So don't put confidential information in the filename.

7-zip is a free compression utility with support for the ZIP format and AES encryption.

Can't recommend a free ZIP utility for the Mac, not familiar with OSX.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 12 December 2010 - 04:12 AM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:26 PM

Thank you guys! I have decided too lock down about 80% of the flash with TrueCrypt and keep an installer for each OS on it.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:23 AM

You're welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users