Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recurring BSODs caused by Google Chrome and win32k.sys


  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cubsfan518

cubsfan518

  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:17 PM

Hello,

I have been having recurring blue screens of death for the past couple of months. I have debugged the minidump files created by the bsods. There have been 15 blue screens since october 18th, and the most recent one occurred yesterday.

On october 17th, I installed the Chinese language pack for my computer that can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c2e0c5a2-66fe-4854-be35-7a5e539a0980

I installed it so that I would be able to see my chinese friend's facebook messages in chinese characters and be able to copy/paste them into a translator, rather than having just the blank rectangles for each character. The following day, I got the first blue screen. After several weeks of blue screens, I searched how to debug the minidump logs. Based on my amateur analysis of the minidump log files, I have figured out the problem is with Google chrome, my default internet browser, crashing due to its fonts. Therefore, I uninstalled the chinese language pack from add/remove programs, but when I rebooted and went on my friend's facebook, the chinese characters were still supported. This is strange since the language pack no longer shows up in add/remove programs, and I have since had several more blue screens.

I have attached a txt file which contains all the debugged minidumps. The two listed probable causes from the debugging are:

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!GreGetGlyphIndicesW+af )
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!RFONTOBJ::vXlatGlyphArray+5a )

I am running Windows XP SP3, and I am wondering how to resolve this problem.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files


Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2010 - 10:05 PM.
Moved from XP to Business Applications ~ Hamluis.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users