Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Action won't let me boot in any mode!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bizfamo

bizfamo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

My step dad's computer is running windows xp pro and will not start in safe mode, or any other mode for that matter. I know how to remove this virus, but I cannot boot the computer to either restore the safe mode reg. or disable the startup programs. please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:55 PM

Sit tight: An experienced member of the Malware Response Team will be along to assist you.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:34 AM

Hi bizfamo, first of all, do you have an XP CD at hand we can use?

What happens when you try to boot? Does it just freeze, or do you see a blue screen?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 bizfamo

bizfamo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:11 AM

elise,

I do have an xp cd, and to no avail i could not fix the problem. it would start booting in which ever mode and then give me a blue screen. I eventually gave up and formatted and reloaded windows. Just out of curiosity, I read that the virus most likely affected the reg files for safe mode booting, but since i was unable to boot the computer i couldnt find a way to restore them. would the xp cd allow me to restore some of that currupt data?

and thanks for the response.

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,076 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:15 AM

Hi, I hope everything is running okay now!

With or without the XP CD we would have have quite some options to verify what was wrong. Since you mentioned the computer was infected with a rogue antivirus program, it is likely that the computer had a rootkit infection that prevented it from booting successfully. Using the BSOD information and a bootable CD we could have tried to identify the problem and replace the missing or infected file.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#6 bizfamo

bizfamo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:30 AM

elise,

how do you replace a damaged file if the only successful thing i could pull up was the bios menu and the safe mode boot menu?

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:43 AM

By creating a bootable disk, that loads in RAM. You then boot from that disk and can access all files.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users