Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG PC Tune Up Removed Things I Need

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 amandalynnw

amandalynnw

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

I downloaded the newest version of free AVG Anti-Virus software. Along with that they offered a free use of their PC Tuneup product. My computer has been acting up lately, so I thought, hey, why not see if this would help clean things up and speed things up too. So it ran and removed a lot of things and now when I try to do certain things on my system...they don't work. I can no longer open up Turbo Tax 2009 and the document converter on my Word program will no longer convert newer type files so I can read them in Word 2003. I am sure there are other things it can't do either, but I have just not discovered them yet. Is there some way I can restore whatever this program removed?

Thanks!
Mandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

With the release of AVG 2011, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Read the related discussions at AVG:There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been reported problems with computers after using new features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. The registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative.

If after using PC Tuneup, you experience issues with some programs, be aware that most registry cleaners and optimizers will prompt you to back up the registry BEFORE using them. These backups are usually saved in the program's folder so they can be accessed and used to restore the system in the event you encounter issues after running the registry cleaner. If that is the case, you can open the registry cleaning program which made the changes and look for an 'undo' feature which allows you to restore the registry backup.

If no backup was made, you can also try using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode. If that does not resolve the problem, then you probably will need to reinstall those programs which were affected and no longer working properly.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

I stopped using AVG the moment my friend (not as security savvy as I am), ended up with the Win32/Cryptor virus, and then, like three months later, another friend of mine (who neglected to use the Wuauserv service on her windows installation for a long time), was infected with Win32/adware.SpywareProtect2009 (eset's name for it), and conficker.E probably from having looked up the spreading mechanism of that particular rogue at the time. Both were using AVG free 9, and both of them lost their OS's to those infections since they didn't at the time have the knowledge to fight them manually. I have since given at least my girlfriend lessons on how to protect herself better, and now, she's helping others as well fight malware infections. The guy though, he'll never learn. Considering he can't even install a program himself. AVG is nasty. If you ask me, they should go out of business. I know the whole drill of how no antivirus can offer 100 percent protection, but I've seen like 95 percent from most. AVG, minus 10! NOD on the other hand, I'd say pretty darn close to 100 percent! And with MBAM real time mod on top of that? You'll never have to worry about security again. Add a few security firefox add-ons, you're good to go. Not that I have any right to say anything in this matter since I'm only an enthusiast, but I do sometimes, and I mean only sometimes, use the registry cleaner in CCleaner on my Dell dimension at home since that thing's getting old, and it can barely hold itself up while running if you know what I mean, so after a big uninstall such as a program like SQL server 2008, I remember using it while cleaning out the remnants of that. But the other hand, if you know what keys you're looking at, and for me that's eeasy since I learn about everything i uninstall and install, what it loads, what it puts on my system, I could probably recite the Windows registry by heart. Well, ... not really, but you get the point. if you know what key belongs to what, you can use it. And in terms of file sharing like that. it all depends on which network you use. Bitorrent is pretty safe since the torrents are moderated, and most malware is seen before it reaches seeders and leechers. Well folks, that's my take on this.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#4 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

Quote: For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative.

May I ask what you do now recommend for free antivirus? I installed the trial AVG Internet Security over the free and it's a nightmare. Can I just uninstall using Revo Uninstaller or should I use Add/Remove?

Thank you.

EAM, Malware Bytes Premium

HP g7- Windows 7 Home Prem 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:55 AM

The correct way to remove AVG 2011 is through its program folder via Start > All Programs or by using Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7.

An alternative way is to download and run the latest AVG installation file. When the AVG Installer windows appears choose the option to Remove and click Continue to allow the AVG 2011 uninstaller to run. Restart the computer when done.

If the above does not work, you can download and use AVG's uninstall/cleanup utility (AVG Remover) provided in the AVG 2011+9.0+8.x Uninstall/Re-Install Instructions. After restarting and removing the folders, stop where instructed to Stop here if not re-installing.

AVG Remover eliminates all the parts of your AVG installation from your computer, including registry items, installation files, user files, etc. AVG Remover is the last option to be used in case the AVG uninstall / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.

Download Tools: AVG Remover

If you still have difficulty uninstalling AVG, download and use Opswat AppRemover.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before removing your existing anti-virus, you should download and save the setup file for the anti-virus you are going to replace it with. After doing that, disconnect from the Internet, uninstall your current anti-virus, reboot and then install the replacement. Reboot again to ensure it is working properly before reconnecting to the Internet.

Free Antivirus programs: (choose and install only one). I recommend any of the first three.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:14 AM

You are the absolute best...thank you kindly.

EAM, Malware Bytes Premium

HP g7- Windows 7 Home Prem 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

You're welcome.