Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home Administer Rights Lost

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FDanTurk

FDanTurk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

Hello,

I have a laptop with XP home. When I use msconfig.exe I get a warning that I do not have administer rights but the changes take place anyway. The warning is annoying. Any suggestions?

I have attached the HijackThis file.

Thanks,

FDanTurk

EDIT: Removed HJT log, pending more info ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2010 - 06:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

See if these notes apply to your system:

If you are using msconfig and you see something along the lines of:

An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes.

If you now or have ever had an HP printer installed, the problem is most likely the HPZ12 Service.

The msconfig changes seem to work, but the error message is annoying.

There is a possibility you will lose communications with your HP printer if you want to prevent the error message. This may not be a problem if you don't care about the communications or never use those HP features.

You can also live with the message, knowing the changes really worked or you can contact and ask HP and they will usually suggest reinstalling Windows (these kinds of suggestions usually mean nobody knows what to do!).

Depending on your comfort level with making system changes, here are two solutions.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4531999_fix-access-denied-error-using.html

http://pchell.com/support/msconfig_access_denied_error.shtml

There is no undo or quit without saving option in the registry editor.

Before making registry changes, backup your registry with this popular free and easy to use tool:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Remember, msconfig is not a startup manager. msconfig is a troubleshooting tool.

Another possibility is to use some third party startup manager tools to make your general configuration changes.

Edited by joseibarra, 11 December 2010 - 06:38 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users