Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Firefox Questions

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

I have a question regarding a problem with Firefox. No major problem, but annoying enough that it's really bothering me. it has to do with the appearance of Firefox - actually, with issues in changing the appearance. I'm a girl, I like my browser to look pretty. I'm running Windows 7, 32-bit, fully licensed. I'm having an issue with Firefox themes.

I go to the theme that I like, and click on the "Download for Windows" button. The "Save" dialogue opens, giving me the choice to either run or save the file. As I normally do with downloads, I choose "Save." The downloaded file is an executable .jar file, but it will not execute. When I try to run it, I receive the message: "Invalid or corrupt jarfile." So, I downloaded again, after removing the file from my download folder. This time, I chose "Open with" when the save dialogue appeared. The default application to run the file is listed as Java Platform SE Binary. I get the same message: "Invalid or corrupt jarfile." I thought that perhaps it was just this theme, so I tried several others, with the same results. I have both Java and Javascript enabled while trying this.

Any ideas?

Edit to Add: Sorry - that should have read, "A Firefox Question" in the thread title... <_<

Edited by MelissaPleases, 11 December 2010 - 05:20 PM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:13 PM

You do not "download" themes like other files. You go to the firefox website: http://www.firefox.com/ and view themes there. Then it's as simple as installing them(they download and store directly in FireFox).

Downloading from any other site is a huge security risk.

#3 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:00 PM

A .jar file is in reality a renamed zip archive.

If your application doesn't detect classic.jar as a standard zip archive, rename the file classic.zip and continue extraction..

You can in fact create your own theme.

#4 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:42 AM

@NpaMA: Yes, I know this. I am at the Firefox site attempting to install the themes. They do not "install," they simply give me the option to save or run. Neither option works, they both simply dump a .jar file to my hard drive, in my default download folder. I've installed themes in the past, and never had this issue.

@Martel: Thanks, I'll give this a try and see what happens.

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#5 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:35 AM

Go to http://www.firefox.com/ click on Addons then All Addons and download Personas

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

After downloading jar file, in FF click Tools>Add-ons>Themes tab and click on "Install" button at the bottom left.
Then navigate to downloaded jar file.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

..... Sorry - double post.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 12 December 2010 - 09:14 PM.

Snowden03.png

#8 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:14 PM

@ doinmeedin: This isn't the Personas - this is the Themes that I'm having issues with. They're two different types of visuals.

@ Broni: It still tells me that it's an invalid or corrupted .jar file. :(

When I try Martel's suggestion, I get an error that it cannot open the .zip file.

Snowden03.png

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:27 PM

My way is the only way to install theme in Firefox. Maybe bad download?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#10 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

I am inclined to agree about the bad download.

I am using Mozilla/5.0

I just went to
http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/demo_create

and created a new personna

worked first time

EDIT oh yea and here too http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/gallery/

Edited by Martel, 12 December 2010 - 10:51 PM.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:51 PM

She's actually not talking about Personas, but about regular themes (skins).

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:52 PM

oh my bad
edit :blush:

As Rosanne Rosannadanna would say....never mind

Edited by Martel, 12 December 2010 - 10:57 PM.

#13 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:27 AM

@ Broni: Going to Tools>Add-ons>Themes does not give me an option to install in the bottom left. I believe that you'll only have the install option when FF recognizes that there is actually a Theme to install...

Edit to Add: This is most irritating. I can't accept that every download is a bad download. In the past, I've always been able to either install directly from the site (Choosing run rather than save), or save the file and then install after saving. I consistently get the error message about the .jar file, no matter which theme I choose or which method I try to use to install. I give up...

Edited by MelissaPleases, 13 December 2010 - 06:33 AM.

Snowden03.png

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:07 PM

In the past, I've always been able to either install directly from the site

That applies to add-ons, but not themes.

Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:01 PM

Okay, now this is very strange, unless it only has to do with the fact that I cannot actually download and install a theme. See, I cannot get a theme to download and install so that FF even recognizes that it's there.

This is what mine looks like:

Posted Image

Snowden03.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users