Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optical Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lnepoe888

lnepoe888

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:56 PM

My optical drives have been acting weird lately. They won't open the contents of whatever CD/DVD i have in the drive unless I into the drive from My Computer.

After that it takes about 15 minutes to open the contents of the media. (The window freezes for that amount of time.) This is really starting to annoy me. Also I noticed when I put in the media it spins up and immediatly stops w/o anything showing up. (I have autoplay enabled.) Any idea what is wrong?

BTW: I installed Daemon Tools 4 and deleted it. The renamed STFD.sys problem went away, but then the problem came back after I restarted my computer. (the restart deleted all the virtual drives for Daemon).

Also when I try to burn onto Sony DVD-R 16x media Roxio shows up with an error. (Could not burn DVD)
I got a memorex DVD+/-DLRWL1 F16 drive and Roxio EMC 8. It works with any other media.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:30 AM

Dear Poe,

Are you online while you do any of this?

Do you have a firewall protecting you?

What is your managment program?

How old is your computer and when is the last time you cleaned it?

If you download from any site you will possible get a virus or worse a authorization to email spam until your dead.

My neighbor, turn off the internet connection and clean your computer. Physically and electronically! After that start and see if everything runs right.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 lnepoe888

lnepoe888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:22 PM

Dear Poe,

Are you online while you do any of this?

Do you have a firewall protecting you?

What is your managment program?

How old is your computer and when is the last time you cleaned it?

If you download from any site you will possible get a virus or worse a authorization to email spam until your dead.

My neighbor, turn off the internet connection and clean your computer. Physically and electronically! After that start and see if everything runs right.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am online and I do have a firewall (Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005)

Managment program? What do you mean?

My computer is one and a half years old.

Ill try your suggestion and post back my results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users