Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kodak Easyshare

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Adam315

Adam315

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:24 PM

Hey guys,

Comp Information:
Pentium 4. 1.6ghz
512mb Ram
Windows XP Professional, SP2

Got a problem with my Kodak Easyshare. Everytime i try to install it, i finish the installer and reboot my computer, but when i go to lauch it after the reboot, it tells me that it has encounterd a problem and needs to close.

I called up Kodak Tech Support, but they didnt know what to do. So im seein if you guys can help me out at all.

I went to the event viewer and checked the application log to see if it was throwing any type of errors. and it was.
-------------------------------
Faulting application easyshare.exe, version 5.2.30.80, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001eb33.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

--------------------------------

Now most people being a Kernel32 error. suggest that i reload the OS completely.

But is there any way to repair this error?

Ive tried using the repair console from the Windows XP CD, to run Chkdsk /r .... i have also ran /sfc scannow.
and still nothing.

Well thanks for your help in advance, and happy hollidays.

Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:48 PM

Error messages are funny creatures. Generally, they'll tell you what file that the error occurred in - but not the file that caused the error.

It's sorta like the engine in a car dying - that's where the error occured (in your case in kernel32). But it could have been bad gas, it could have been sugar in the gas tank, it could have been that you ran out of gas.

IMO - telling you to reinstall the OS is a very premature assessment of the issue (and is most likely incorrect). The benefit of this approach is that you'll come out of it with a squeaky clean system - and since you'll have to update all your drivers and programs, the program will probably disappear.

It's been my experience that the majority of problems of this sort are caused by corrupt files. And, recently I've seen at least one other problem of this sort that was caused by the software.

Have you used the "Clear" utility when uninstalling the EasyShare software? If not, here's a link to it: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/dow...=go&idhbx=clear

When software is removed from your system, only the stuff that's got a certain permission level is removed. This leaves stuff on your system (in case you reinstall in the future, etc). Unfortunately, if an error occurs in one of the files/registry entries that is left, your attempts to reinstall won't overwrite this file and it still won't work. (This happened to me way back with Windows 95 - and I spent weeks on the phone with Packard-Bell trying to fix it!).

I'm willing to bet that the Clear utility doesn't remove everything. But the fact that they have developed it indicates a need to remove more than just what's removed through the Add or Remove Programs dialog.

Anywhooooo, enough of the gabbing! :thumbsup:

Download the latest version of the EasyShare software from the Kodak site
Uninstall the software using the Add or Remove Programs dialog
Run the Clear utility according to the instructions
Install the latest version of EasyShare and see if this fixes it!

(FWIW - there are other things that could cause this, but the above technique is by far the most likely solution)

BTW - when you ran SFC.EXE /SCANNOW - did it ask for your installation CD? If it did, I'd recommend that you visit Windows Update to make sure that it didn't replace one of your updated files with the version from the CD.

Edited by usasma, 03 December 2005 - 07:50 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Adam315

Adam315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:28 PM

John,

Thanks for replying

I have tried what you suggested before. and it didnt work, but maybe i overlooked something (being on the phone forever can do that to ya)

When i ran sfc /scannow, it did ask for the installation CD. i'll have to doublecheck that again.

So am i wrong to assume that because every install i had tried on this computer, the error keeps appearing in the same spot (0x blah blah) that that part is bad?

Would it make any difference if i were to defrag the computer, and then try to reinstall it? (just wondering if somethin like this might have a reverse effect on it)

Thanks for your help

adm

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:15 AM

Defragging can't hurt.

The most obvious solution was the EasyShare software - but that's not all that could cause it.

Please go to your Event Viewer (Start...Run...Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Event Viewer) and see if you can locate the error that corresponds to the last crash. There are 3 categories in Event Viewer - Application, Security, and System. Your's is most likely in the Application log, but may be in the System log. If you see anything with the format of 0x0000007a, let us know (the numbers and letters may change - but generally there'll be a bunch of 0's still in it).

Anywhooo....just right click on the error and select "Properties" and it'll give you more information about the error(s). Let us know what you find!

The location of the error: fault address 0x0001eb33 could be a memory error. But, if it was, I'd suspect that there'd be problems in other programs also.

What I think is that the software is trying to access an area that it shouldn't. A "kludge" to this may be to reboot into Safe Mode - uninstall, run the "Clear" utility, install the updated program. Maybe Safe Mode will empty the address that the program's trying to access?

Another "kludge" and not one for those who are leery of the registry is to:

2) Search your hard drive for all instances of Kodak and EasyShare. Move all instances to a CD and delete the copies on your hard drive (make a note to remember where they all go).
2) Backup your registry! (very important because you can hose it easily)
3) Search the registry for all instances of Kodak and EasyShare - then delete them
4) Reboot (and pray that your system starts! :0)
5) Then try the Safe Mode install.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users