Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ROOTKIT

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 nicholasm

nicholasm

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

Okay, I am a little worried, so I decided to ask an expert. The other day I allowed a fake jave update to install on my computer, even though my AV wanted to block it (I thought it was a false positive). But I usually don't do those updates and I started questioning it so when Windows Vista asked me if I allowed it, I hit cancel. Anyway, a few hours later I noticed that anytime I would click on google search result links I was redirected to different sites or attack pages. I think Firefox blocked most if not all the attack pages. Anyway, once I realized I had a virus I tried running Malwarebytes, but it ran really, really slow. I started up my other laptop so that I could search the internet to see what was going on and what I should do. Well, my 2nd laptop was running slower than usually and just sitting there when trying to load pages. Both computers share the same router. So, what I decided to do was restart the infected computer (1st computer) in safe mode and then I ran Malwarebytes.

MBAM found rootkit.tdss.gen.

That's all it found. I quarantined it and then restarted and now both computers seem to be working normally. My concern is I've read that these rootkits are dangerous and some people recommend reformatting. Some people say even reformatting doesn't totally get rid of this threat. I really don't know anything about rootkits, so I am wondering if there could still be hidden threats on either of my computers or could my router be compromised? I've ran my AV's and MBAM again and they don't find anything. Is there anything more I should do? Should I reformat the 1st computer? Nothing was ever found on my 2nd computer. Should I do something to my router? I do online banking. Should I be concerned about my identity or personal information being compromised or am I okay?

BTW 2nd computer uses Windows XP.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Nick

Edited by nicholasm, 11 December 2010 - 03:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users