Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible after effects of Thinkpoint infection?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MattyCUnlimited

MattyCUnlimited

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

Earlier this week I was infected with Thinkpoint, I used Malware bytes Anti-Malware against it and I’m fairly confident it’s gone (or at least almost gone)…as I’ve had no obvious sign of the infection since and my system has been back to normal apart from some annoying issues that I’m guessing are a result of the Thinkpoint infection.

The main issue is when I am browsing the internet I regularly encounter an error screen “Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”…if this happens it’s usually after around 10 to 15 minutes of browsing and if I try to shut the window down my system will freeze up everything apart from my mouse arrow and I have no choice but to shut the PC down via the back switch. If I leave the error message without clicking on it I can happily continue browsing with the message still displaying in the background.

Another issue I’m having is less frequent but I still feel it’s worth mentioning; I’m occasionally experiencing site redirections/ pop up windows. This has only been happening since I had the Thinkpoint infection. I don’t know what the pop ups lead me to as I quickly shut them down before the sites display, I’m worried that if I leave them to load up it could put the Thinkpoint virus or something more sinister back onto my system. I’ve also noticed that if I get a popup it tends to happen while I’m on Google.

These are my only two issues and everything else seems to be working just as it was prior to getting Thinkpoint, My major concern is that these issues are signs that something sinister is still lingering in my system and if I don’t deal with it I’m going to leave myself open to further problems.

My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service pack 3, My computer is Intel® Core ™ 2 Quad CPU (I hope that makes sense and I’ve provided enough info)

I’ve already had a Computer technician look at the machine in the past 24 hours and he seems to think that the only way I can successfully sort out my system is via a complete system install, I’m interested in seeing if this is really the case via this site rather than part with money over something my system may not need….because apart from these issues I am quite happy with how it’s operating.

I hope I’ve provided enough information and thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by MattyCUnlimited, 11 December 2010 - 12:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users