Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help.. no network adapter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 drg3824

drg3824

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:33 PM

I thought everything was going ok til i tried for an internet connection. I have verizon fios and a router. Also, there is a laptop and another desktop in this house. Windows keeps telling me that i cannot connect to the internet because i am missing a network adapter. I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. I am about to uninstall windows XP and start all over. The router is plugged in and working i apparently just can't communicate with it. I do not know how to install the needed driver. Everything i try to do does not work. Please advised asap before i throw this computer out the window.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

I have verizon fios and a router.

What is a fios?

Is this a wired or wireless connection to the router?

If it is a wireless connection, what is the make and model of the wireless card?

Edit: In the Device Manager what is shown under Network Adapters? You may need to click on the + to expand the tree.

Edited by dc3, 11 December 2010 - 01:27 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 drg3824

drg3824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

It is a wired connection to the router. After windows xp was finished installing, i re connected the DSL cable, the light at the connection is lit indicating it works, the other computers here work with no problem. The only things connected to the computer during XP installation was the wireless keyboard and mouse because i needed them. The people at the Verizon store told me it's not a router problem, just that a network adapter i need was not installed, which is what this thing keeps telling me. If you know of a solution, please let me know asap. I just do not know how to download the network driver. Thanks.

#4 drg3824

drg3824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

Better yet, please tell me how to undo everything i have installed. I would much rather remove xp and start all over rather than go thru this stuff all day. I think the problem is more on my end. The more i think about it the more i think i must have missed something during the installation yesterday.

Edited by drg3824, 11 December 2010 - 02:53 PM.

#5 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

It would help to know what the make and model of your computer you have.

You shouldn't need to uninstall XP and start over, it seems very likely that all that is needed would be for you to install the driver for your network adapter. If you re-install you will probably end up in the same situation. Please look in Device Manager as dc3 suggested and tell us what it says under Network Adapters.

Since you have other computers in the house that are able to connect to the internet, you could use one of them to download the required driver and then move it to the other computer.

Edited by strolln, 11 December 2010 - 02:58 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:07 PM

Please answer my question regarding the Device Manager, specifically the Network Adapters.

Better yet... here is an article which will explain this step by step. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users