Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive making constant, loud noise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ann6dash5

ann6dash5

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

Hi, I'm encountering a problem that I never had before with my laptop. My laptops about 6 years old, Pentium M processor, 1.60 GHz, 1.0 GB of RAM. Within the last week or two, it has been making a constant whirring noise that is pretty loud. It can last for up to 30 minutes at a time, and sometimes it will start right after I turn my laptop on. I was wondering, is this just a sign of an old laptop, or is there anything I can do to fix it? The only thing I can think of that coincides with the noise starting is that I installed the new Norton Antivirus on my laptop a little before the noise started happening. I don't run many programs at once, and usually just have an internet browser up at a given time. Thanks so much for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

I've never heard of a hdd whining, clicking, yes. Are you sure this is coming from the hdd and not a fan?

If the computer is running hot the speed of the fan will increase. The bearing of the fan can also fail which will produce a whining sound.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ann6dash5

ann6dash5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

hi, thank you for the quick response! the noise is definitely more whirring than clicking, so i think you may be correct that it is a problem with the fan, which is a relief. i'm not running the computer any more than i have been in the past, so i don't think it'd be running hotter than usual. in that case, do you know any ways which i could fix my problem myself? i'm not too familiar with fan issues, thanks!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

Please post the make and model of this laptop, and I will see what information I can find for you.

I've read about people peeling the paper cover off of the fan where the bearing is and use the end of a toothpick to deposit a very small amount of 3in1 oil on the bearing to prolong the life of it. But if you are going to go that far into the computer you may as well just replace the fan. Depending on what make and model this is, it could be comparatively easy to access, or a real pain.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users