Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

rebuilding a Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StanWy

StanWy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:56 AM

Good morning gentlemen. Thanks in advance for your help. Recently my Dell Dimension E150 running Windows XP Home Version became infected with HDD Plus. Nasty stuff. In attempting to remove it, I made a big mistake and deleted what appeared to be rogue entries in my Registry. (I forgot the cardinal rule of backing up the Registry) It appears they were not. Nothing is working correctly now.

Here's my question. I have a lot of time on my hands and would like to take out the old hard drive, reinstall a new and better hard drive in this Dell, and then install a new licensed version of Windows. My concern is the HDD Plus and any other trojan, worm, or virus that might have sneaked in. By removing the old hard drive and the old operating system am I eliminating the infections or are they hiding somewhere else in what remains of the old computer just waiting to reinfect when I install the new hard drive and new operating system Thanks again

Stan Wu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:23 AM

All the infections will be on the old HD. (I've never heard of one that stayed anywhere else). When you install the new drive and OS, it will be clean. You can hook up your old drive, not access it, and format it after installing the new drive. That will clean it up so it can be used again. :blink:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

Well...to be honest, today's infections are not just limited to hard drives.

And...rather than format a hard drive...I would delete all existing partitions and start over with a new partition structure and file system on which to place files.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users