Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Drivers For Compaq Presario C500

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:34 AM

Hi.
So, recently, my mom gave me her old Compaq Presario C500 laptop. Before recently, it had Windows XP SP3 on it, with full driver installations, etc.

A little back story: My dad bought this computer for my mom. It had Vista on it. My dad Nuked Vista using DBAN (www.dban.org) and installed XP. He was up till like midnight getting drivers from tech support.

I got it, nuked it with DBAN by request of my mom, and reinstalled XP. The XP drivers available for the laptop were not base drivers, they were updates, AND only for certain things.

So basically, I need to know, should I download Vista drivers for XP, or will it fail?

also, this computer is totally out of warranty, so I can't call tech support.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:15 AM

Google is your friend! :)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3318986&taskId=135

#3 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:04 AM

For my OS (Windows XP) Only three drivers are available. Yes, I selected the right product. My only question: Can I Use Vista Drivers on this thing or do i have to write my own damn driver files?

#4 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:14 AM

Try this page, about halfway down the guy has links and instructions to a bunch of the drivers:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/windows-xp-2000-nt-9x-forum/129622-compaq-presario-c500.html

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

You have selected the correct model of the C500...from the drivers list provided by HP?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users