Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D-link 615 d2 router logs?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bigdaz

bigdaz

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:33 AM

Hey guys, i currently allow a housemate to access my internet through my router, all connections are wired and have wireless turned off. I would like to know what sites are being visited by my housemate to make sure i don't get in mither with my SP ect because of misuse. The logs provided by accessing my router through my browser do not show the IPs or sites visited only basic system/security/status info. There are check boxes in the log settings to display critical/warnng/INFORMATION but these are greyed out and i cannot enable these to display this information in my log files, so i cannot view the information i need that way.
I read a little about flashing my router with DD-WRT as this will open up my router with more options than it currently has with the factory firmware and would doing this allow me to achieve what i am trying to do anyway?
Seems a bit hit and miss for just seeing what my hardware is being used to access.
Are there any programs [freeware] that after i install on my machine will let me see what sites my house mate accesses through my router?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:06 AM

You will want to check all logs to be viewable most importantly the firewall/security.

#3 bigdaz

bigdaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:02 AM

You will want to check all logs to be viewable most importantly the firewall/security.

I am unable to do this as the check box options for crit/warn/inf are greyed out and not selectable. The sys/sec/stat are the only options that are selectable and they are selected but my logs dont display the information about the sites visited that i was interested in, general status, system and security information.

#4 bigdaz

bigdaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:15 AM

Any ideas?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

Are you logging into the router as Administrator or are you logging in as a regular user?

#6 bigdaz

bigdaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

I log in as the admin/owner/the only one with access who sets the passwords.
The options that are greyed out and uncheckable in the log settings are the factory defaults, and the router is shipped that way, the default firmware installed is the latest release as when i try to update on there site is says "no update needed as you have the latest ect".

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

Have you tried doing a hardware reset on the router?

#8 bigdaz

bigdaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

Have you tried doing a hardware reset on the router?

Hardware reset?
Might be a stupid qeustion but would this be different than a reboot as i only have the origional firmware installed, its basically default, i havnt changed about all the settings ect?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:39 PM

Hardware reset meaning hitting the reset button located on the back. You may have a faulty router.

#10 bigdaz

bigdaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:30 PM

Right, will give this a try, see if it improves things, thanks.

#11 bigdaz

bigdaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

Right, tried the reset no joy.
Ok, been on the phone to my ISP and after various conversations with different departments they concluded by saying that with my router the log settings cannot be changed to log the IP addresses of sites visited as that is not a feature of the router, it was manufactured that way, they cannot even enable this feature, blah blah ect ect.....
Right, will start a new thread as my next qeustion would be simply
"Will flashing my router with a third party firmware DD-WRT allow me to log sites visited through my router"

Thanks guys.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

Your ISP is wrong, and do not know what they are talking about unless this is a router distributed by them, then there is no way that you would be unable to change those settings. I would take the router back or buy another one. It is obviously defective.

#13 bigdaz

bigdaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

The router was supplied to me by my ISP when i upgraded my package with them.

#14 bigdaz

bigdaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:07 PM

Was trying to add an attachment with a picture of my routers options so you could see the greyed out options that look like they would have added the info to the logs if they could have been enabled but there doesnt seem to be a way of adding an attachment.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

If you DD-WRT your router it may become unusable. Your ISP probably custom built the OS on it to their liking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users