Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsolicited call from Windows support organisation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lampet

lampet

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:05 AM

Hi,

I had a phone call on Saturday evening from someone purporting to be from a Windows Support company. The person I spoke with said something about my computer having downloaded malicious files without my knowledge. He asked me to open a Run window and type "inf windows" (without the quotes). This opened a windows explorer window showing the folders and files in C:\Windows\Inf. He wanted to know how many files/folders were in there. The then handed the phone over to someone else. This new person asked me to type "prefetch windows" into the Run window. I wasn't prepared to do that because I didn't know what that command did.

I asked him for his web site address and he said it was www.windows.systemconsulting.com. I said I would check it out and to call back on Monday.

www.windows.systemconsulting.com is a site for Windows Small Business Server 2003.

I am very suspicious. When he rings back on Monday should I go along with him until I find out how they are trying to rip me off?

Lampet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:13 AM

I would tell them that you are not interested in their services.

#3 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:17 AM

This scam has been played out in Australia very recently, throughout the entire country.
The only difference is a supposed 'representative' from AVG anti-virus would call, tell you you have a problem with your computer, tell you to do things etc.
After you've gone through what is essentially a useless and random set of tasks they say they can fix your problem for $100, and to deposit it to said bank account and they will do the rest etc.

Given that they say they are from Microsoft and the link is actually for small business server, tell them to get lost, you have nothing to do with that software (I assume anyway) and therefore you have no reason to speak to someone about it. Especially if they are offering you any kind of support, unless it was sales and you do in fact run a small business, I cant see any reason they'd contact you (if it were to actually be Microsoft).

#4 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:14 AM

This is definitely a scam and if you have Caller-ID I would hope that you'd give the phone number to the appropriate authorities before they swindle someone who doesn't know enough to come here and ask for advice.

Edited by Zuhl3156, 11 December 2010 - 08:14 AM.

#5 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:29 AM

Personally I like to mess with these scammers as much as possible. I keep them on the phone as long as I can. I keep telling them that I am doing what they are asking (not actually doing it) and string them along as long as possible. After a while I tell them “I didn’t understand something, can we start all over”

It wastes their time, is mildly entertaining, and keeps them from bothering anyone else as long as they are on the phone with me.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

It's a scam. Microsoft doesn't random call people.

#7 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,466 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

Personally I like to mess with these scammers as much as possible. I keep them on the phone as long as I can. I keep telling them that I am doing what they are asking (not actually doing it) and string them along as long as possible. After a while I tell them “I didn’t understand something, can we start all over”

It wastes their time, is mildly entertaining, and keeps them from bothering anyone else as long as they are on the phone with me.

Act all excited about it and lead them on for awhile with lots of questions before telling them you do not have a computer.

#8 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

Another vote for "Scam." How does a stranger know there's something on your computer?

Caller ID probably won't help -- scammers like these guys usually use an internet phone (VoIP) or a "spoofing" site.

If they call back tell them you got sick and tired of Windows problems and you switched to Linux!

#9 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:16 PM

Act all excited about it and lead them on for awhile with lots of questions before telling them you do not have a computer.

I'm really liking both of these ideas. I'm somewhat toying with the idea of acting real clutsy to see if they'll come over and help me in person so I can see what an extended jolt from a 2 million volt cattle prod will actually do to a human nervous system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users