Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bsolo

bsolo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:47 PM

I am running windows xp protected with norton antivirus. Recently it has been acting funny (slowing down, not recognizing my ipod, etc). Yesterday it completely crashed. Now when I try to reboot, I get a black screen that says "sony" (I have a vaio) and then nothing ever happens. I cannot get the darn thing to reboot. I need some serious help and any and all is much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:50 PM

Can you enter the BIOS? Does the BIOS see the drive? What is the information in Primary>Master drive?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 bsolo

bsolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:51 PM

I am quite the novice. Could you please explain how I enter the BIOS, etc? THanks

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:55 PM

When you start your computer it will have a message to press F2 or F10 or another key to enter setup?

#5 bsolo

bsolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:59 PM

Just tried it!! entered BIOS. Primary Master, Slave, etc all say [Auto]. BIOS version 2001/12/07/01.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:03 PM

It should list the specs for the drive even if it's on auto.

#7 bsolo

bsolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:04 PM

not only is nothing listed, it immediatly crashes and I cannot navigate or exit BIOS. I have to turn the computer off

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:09 PM

Hhmm That is interesting. I need you to unplug the computer from the wall and take the cover off the side of the computer. I need you to tell me how dirty the inside is. You could have very dirty case causing overheating or maybe a bad power supply. Which ever it maybe you can fix it. Checking for dirt should only take a few minutes and you can't hurt anything.

#9 bsolo

bsolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:17 PM

I'll try it

#10 bsolo

bsolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:45 PM

i opened it up. Some dust. Not too bad though. I will vaccum it out and retry. How do I know if the power supply is bad??

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:13 PM

If you have someone who can uses a voltmeter that is the easiest way. It is only about 4 to 6 screws, You could remove the power supply and take it to a computer shop to have it tested.
One more simple thing is to replace the motherboard battery. Again make sure you unplug your computer. You can pick one up almost anyweres. I bought my last one at Albertson's.

#12 bsolo

bsolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:24 PM

After I cleaned the dust, things seemed to be much better. I was able to reboot!!! I rebooted in safe mode and tried to back up some file onto a dvd. However whenever I put a blank dvd in and click on the drive properites, it says that there is no free space. I have tried multiple blank disks. What are your thoughts??

BTW Thanks so much for getting me at least to this point :thumbsup:

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:32 PM

Did you forget to format the dvd?

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:26 PM

If just a quick cleaning on the inside of your case solved the problem - I'd seriously consider a more in-depth cleaning to avoid more problems in the near future.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:32 PM

If you have "Air in a can" or whatever the local name is, blowout the power supply. Do not open the power supply at this time. Use the little straw that comes with the can, and blow it out thru the vent grill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users