Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering An Old Hdd To Another Pc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BHRN

BHRN

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:29 PM

Would like to move my very old IDE drive to another pc that I have at work now, is there anything other than connecting it to power and mobo that I should do. This hd has XP Pro on it just like the the pc I'm transfering it to, is there a problem there?? The receiving pc has 2 identical sata drives on it, mobo is Intel 875 as far as I can remember.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:47 PM

Make sure you set it to master/slave on the drive according to the oher device you have on the chain. If you hve a cd on the same cble make sure only one is set to Master.
Are you trying to use XP on the drive or just the data. Once connected I would transfer the data to another drive, and format this drive. If you lose the drive(crash) you won't loose your data.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 BHRN

BHRN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:56 AM

Hi acklan, no not trying to use the XP that it has on it as the other pc has that already, I just want to use the software that is already on there an carry on as if it has never left the old pc.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:40 AM

If both drive are formatted alike it should be no problem. You will have a problem using the programs though. There will be no registry references to Windows on the new dive to connect to the old programs on the old drive. Does that make sence? That is what happens during the installation proccess. It creates registry markers so windows knows where the program is and how to use it. You can do haft of what you want. You will be able to access the drive and use the data, but you will not be able to use the programs.
If anyone knows a work around please chime in.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users