Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro Caught in Boot Loop after cleaning out virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lhommedieu

lhommedieu

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:42 AM

Hey guys. I recently cleaned out a virus with your help but after installing AVG 2011 on two computers both went down to the BSOD and the error message "we apologize for the inconvenience ,but windows did not start successfully. a recent hardware or software change might have caused this. ..." I did a clean install on one computer but am hoping to avoid this on the other. I've noticed that an AVG 11 update has been wrecking havoc on Windows 7 users and am wondering if it could have done the same to Windows XP Pro? Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:17 AM

Sit tight: An experienced member of the Malware Response Team will be along to assist you.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 lhommedieu

lhommedieu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

Great - thank you.

#4 lhommedieu

lhommedieu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

Got the system to boot up (used the last configuration that worked) and uninstalled AVG 11. Now I'm wondering if I should just sit tight and wait or try to figure out if there's something else in my system that made it crash? I'm a bit concerned because although AVG 11 seems like the likely culprit the last update that caused the problems effected Windows 7 and Vista 64 bit users: I'm running Windows XP Pro 32 bit.

Best,

Steve

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:38 AM

Hi Steve, I'm glad to hear that things are fine now.

It is possible that AVG caused this problem. Do you have any problem with your computer that makes you think it is infected?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 lhommedieu

lhommedieu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:57 AM

Hi Elese

Thanks for responding. I'd just finished cleaning out a couple of viruses (with a BC monintor and then using a BC tutorial) and then I bought the latest version of AVG (2011) for three computers (since I have another computer in the city and my wife uses her laptop there also). When I went back to the city I installed AVG on both computers there, and that's when my Windows XP apartment computer got caught in the boot loop. When I went back to the house to get my Windows XP Pro system (the one we're talking about in this thread) so I could get some work done this week, it had the same BSOD message the apartment computer had.

To recap:

House Computer Windows XP Pro Cleaned out Malware Installed AVG 11 Free Rebooted Caught in Boot Loop Fixed
Apt. Computer Windows XP Home Cleaned out Malware Installed AVG 11 Paid Rebooted Caught in Boot Loop No fix; clean install
Wife's Lapop Windows XP Pro Cleaned out Malware Installed AVG 11 Paid No reboot Uninstalled AVG 11 No problems

The house computer rebooted successfully when I switched to the last known configuration that worked; I tried AVG's fix on the Apt. computer but it didn't work - so I did a clean Windows XP Home install and am currently loading software and drivers, ad infinitum...

As I said to the other monitor, at least now my systems will run faster and I'll learn how to do system restore points and how to mirror system drives! Pain is a wonderful teacher.

Just wondering, though, if AVG 11 is safe to reinstall? Currently running Avast! free and MSE as my AV softwares.

Best,

Steve

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:18 AM

Hi Steve, first and for all, you only need to have one AV installed at a time. Since you bought AVG, I'd recommend to reinstall the other two (avast and MSSE) and then try again.

The reason for this is that if both products have their automatic (Real-Time) protection switched on, then those products which do not encrypt the virus strings within them can cause other anti virus products to cause "false alarms". It can also lead to a clash as both products fight for access to files which are opened again this is the resident/automatic protection. In general terms, the two programs may conflict and cause:
  • False Alarms: When the anti virus software tells you that your PC has a virus when it actually doesn't.
  • System Performance Problems: Your system may lock up due to both products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

If, even after uninstalling all other AV's and after reinstalling AVG you still have problems, I recommend you to contact AVG, since you have the paid version you should get some support from them with this specific problem.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#8 lhommedieu

lhommedieu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

Elese,

Thank you. What I said above was unclear: Avast! on one computer, MSE on the other. I did a search for free AV's and decided to try MSE on the home computer to see if I liked it.

Sorry for the confusion. You're right - since I paid for AVG I should be able to reinstall it on all three in the near future. Web searchs for (e.g.) "is it safe to reinstall AVG 11 after problem?" Or "AVG 11 update problem fixed?" don't turn up any information, so I guess I should just call them and take their word for it.

Best,

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users