Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Shuts down abruptly....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Calebvision

Calebvision

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:06 PM

It's onlyhappened twice, about 10 days apart, recently.

My computer abruptly shuts down and restarts.

I get a message, after it restarts, telling me that it shut down to protect itslef ( or something like that ).

Any idea how i cna fix this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

When the computer shuts down, does it give you a blue screen, or even flash one up?

Has the computer been moved recently, or had any work done on it?

#3 Calebvision

Calebvision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

It hasn't been worked on. It's been moved a n inch or two to clean around it.

I had an Espon printer go "bad" and replaced it with an identical one recently ( c88+ )

Trying to remeber the message that I get: It's not, literally, a blue screen. After computer reboots I gat a "send error report to Microsoft" message, followed ny a message telling me that a serious error has occured which is why computer "protected itself". I'm give a few suggestions such as updates ( they're current .

Wish I could give you more feedback

#4 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:00 PM

It may be a power supply issue, that it may be dying. It may even be the power supply to the power supply.
Computers are more sensitive to voltage drops than your microwave or fridge, a change of 20v may not affect your fridge but for a computer that relies on constant power at certain tolerances this can play hell.

Since its only happened a couple of times, with such a big time difference between I'd suggest wait it out, see if it happens again, and if it happens more often eventually.

My list of possible hardware to be watched:
Power supply
RAM
Motherboard

#5 Calebvision

Calebvision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:57 AM

Thanks much!

I will foollow your prudent sounding advice!

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:32 AM

It's only happened twice, about 10 days apart, recently.

I agree with the comment that you may have nothing to be concerned about. Power fluctuations are definitely a possible cause.

However, here are a couple of things that might help:

:step1: Disable "automatic restart" so that if your system does suffer a system failure, it will not restart, but present a BSOD (blue screen of death) with an error message which can be useful in diagnosing the problem.

"Automatic restart" can be disabled from within Windows:
Right-click on "My Computer" > select "Properties" > "Advanced" tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", click "Settings" and disable (un-tick) "Automatically restart". Click "OK", and if you get a "System Control Panel Applet" warning "If the pagefile on volume .... Continue anyway?", click "Yes", and again "OK" to close the last window.

Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows XP
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/disautorestart.htm

:step2: Get a look at some possibly useful information about BSOD events that have already occurred by doing the following:

Please download BlueScreenView (in zip file)
Extract the contents of bluescreenview.zip and then double-click on the BlueScreenView.exe file, and click on Run, to run the program. (No installation is required.)
When scanning is done (please be patient), go ...
  • Edit > Select All
  • File > Save Selected Items, and save the report to your Desktop as BSOD.txt.
Close the BlueScreenView window.
Open BSOD.txt using Notepad and go ...
  • Edit > Select All
  • Edit > Copy, and then paste the entire contents of the text file into your next reply.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:34 AM

Hi,
Those are usually a system error issue, so restart the machine, hold down F8 to get into safe mode into the Boot Options menu, then select 'disable auto restart after system error', then do whatever to recreate the crash and the message should be displayed.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314466

I would also do a chkdsk C:/r just to see if you have a bad sector somewhere.

Edited by Mooseby, 11 December 2010 - 08:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users