Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32 and 64 bit Question on my new build?.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

I am awaiting delivery of the items in the link below for my first self build. I have researched as much of the why's and wherefore's as possible and now that the parts are in transit I spent a few hours today making some back ups of my files etc to transfer over to the new PC. I will be going from a 7yr old Win XP Home 32 bit system to Windows 7 64 bit system. I downloded new versions of Comodo CIS, Panda Cloud Antivirus, Superantispyware and SpywareBlaster and realised that there were 32 & 64 bit versions. As I had intended to install the 64 bit system I started to think about any incompatibilities I might encounter as I will probably attempt to download and install the same programs I have at present with the Win XP 32 bit system checking of course to see if they are at all compatible. I did a search on Google and read some articles in regard to 32 & 64 bit technology but found that it was either vague or went over my head. Can anybody point me in the right direction or explain in simple terms the pros and cons of this , eg will 32 bit programs like Revo Uninstaller work on a 64 bit system like the one in the link below. I just noticed that some of the parts are now saying out of stock but this was added after I bought mine. Thanks in advance.
http://www.budgetbuybuild.com/specmanager/15996/
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

Its hit and miss whether a 32 bit program will run on a 64 bit OS-more hit then miss these days, they do a good job of backwards compatibility so chances are they will run, but if one has a 64 bit OS then it is always the best idea to get 64 bit software for it, especially when it comes to anti virus programs and firewalls, and other security related software-these are the most likely not to work, and if they do will likely not provide as adequate protection.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:27 PM

In the years since I have run 64bit OSs, I have had 2 programs that gave me problems. None of the major programs cause problems. It is usually the smaller niche products that are either discontinued or not updated by their publisher.

No real reason to use a 32bit OS now.

Edited by dpunisher, 10 December 2010 - 10:27 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:52 AM

I've been running a 64-bit operating system since Vista first launched. All of my games and productivity applications work fine. 32-bit applications run within WoW64 far better in Vista and 7 than they did in XP 64-bit, which is good for compatibility reasons. Deep level applications, such as security programs and antivirus/malware programs, are very specific as to which they will work with. If you're a standard home user or even a small business user, there is no reason to go for 32-bit especially if you use 4GB or more of RAM. Windows 7 does have some 64-bit specific security features, which is yet another reason to use it. If you have 64-bit specific programs, they will always run better in 64-bit as they can access different CPU instruction sets and use more memory than a 32-bit application running in WoW64 emulation. Nevertheless, many gamers use 64-bit since very few 32-bit games take a significant performance hit when running in 64-bit Windows. When I first installed Vista 64-bit, I did have a few issues, but updates corrected those. Now, if I have a problem, it is because of the OS version, Windows 7, rather than the bit version it is running.

3939.png

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:43 AM

Thanks a lot for the replies, 64 bit it is then.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users