Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Half Internet?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kufskr

kufskr

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre B98 running XP that has got me stumped. It is connected to our network, can use lotus notes, and can access some banking sites, and a few others that are bookmarked. we can pull up school bank statement and a limited other pages. But both firefox and IE won't load most pages. I can ping www.google.com fine. Any suggestions/ideas?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

Try running the XP Network Diagnostic Tool:

Click on Start then Click on Run...
Enter this into the Run... box: %systemroot%\network diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe then click OK.

This will launch the Network Diagnostics for Windows XP tool. Follow the wizard and post back what it reports.

#3 kufskr

kufskr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

So, I ran it. When I got to the stage asking me to restart the router I couldn't because it is an Office Computer running off our network that was currently being heavily used. But here's what the network diagnostic tool game me...

"Last diagnostic run time: 12/10/10 13:32:52 Gateway Diagnostic
Gateway

info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Disabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server: Proxy Bypass list:
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 165.248.167.65
info This computer has the following IP address(es): 165.248.167.95
info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies)
info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies)
info TCP port 80 on host 65.55.12.249 could not be reached (Error code 0x274c)
warn The Internet host www.microsoft.com could not be reached
action Automated repair: Reset network connection
action Disabling the network adapter
action Enabling the network adapter
info Network adapter successfully enabled
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 165.248.167.65
info This computer has the following IP address(es): 165.248.167.95
info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
warn The default gateway address could not be resolved via ARP
action Manual repair: Reboot modem
warn The repair attempt failed
info Redirecting user to support call

IP Layer Diagnostic
Corrupted IP routing table

info The default route is valid
info The loopback route is valid
info The local host route is valid
info The local subnet route is valid
Invalid ARP cache entries

action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
Invalid IP address

info Valid IP address detected: 165.248.167.95

Wireless Diagnostic
Wireless - Service disabled
Wireless - User SSID
Wireless - First time setup
Wireless - Radio off
Wireless - Out of range
Wireless - Hardware issue
Wireless - Novice user
Wireless - Ad-hoc network
Wireless - Less preferred
Wireless - 802.1x enabled
Wireless - Configuration mismatch
Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Ethernet connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection. "

Edited by kufskr, 10 December 2010 - 07:08 PM.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

Well, if you can't reboot the router then let's try resetting Windows' TCP/IP subsystem.

1. Go to Start then click on Run...
2. In the Run... box, type cmd and click OK. A black command prompt window should open up (looks like an old DOS prompt)
3. At the command prompt, type netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt followed by the Enter (or Return) key
4. Reboot Windows.

Check to see if it fixed the problem. If not, post back here and include the logfile (should be a text file located in C:\ called resetlog.txt.)

Edited by Andrew, 10 December 2010 - 08:06 PM.

#5 kufskr

kufskr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

OK. I'll do that on Monday when I get back to work. :) Thank for the quick response!
Evan

#6 kufskr

kufskr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

Ok. So I finally ran the command you told me to. Here's the results from the reset log. Sorry if I'm short or having a hard time understand anything, i'm blaming it on being ill with a cold. thanks again. you rock...and so does your avatar btw.

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp\Parameters\Options\15\RegLocation
old REG_MULTI_SZ =
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\?\DhcpDomain
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TcpIp\Parameters\DhcpDomain

added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_{1FCAC8FF-F704-4F1E-A978-1489628567F9}\NetbiosOptions
added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_{AB3A4F7A-9679-4140-9037-7CB0ED9E0D14}\NetbiosOptions
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\EnableLmhosts
reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F018AFAF-6225-4945-A2AA-FC5E57DC3EFA}\DefaultGateway
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F018AFAF-6225-4945-A2AA-FC5E57DC3EFA}\DefaultGatewayMetric
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F018AFAF-6225-4945-A2AA-FC5E57DC3EFA}\DisableDynamicUpdate
reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F018AFAF-6225-4945-A2AA-FC5E57DC3EFA}\EnableDhcp
old REG_DWORD = 0

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F018AFAF-6225-4945-A2AA-FC5E57DC3EFA}\IpAddress
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F018AFAF-6225-4945-A2AA-FC5E57DC3EFA}\IpAutoconfigurationAddress
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F018AFAF-6225-4945-A2AA-FC5E57DC3EFA}\IpAutoconfigurationMask
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F018AFAF-6225-4945-A2AA-FC5E57DC3EFA}\IpAutoconfigurationSeed
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F018AFAF-6225-4945-A2AA-FC5E57DC3EFA}\Mtu
reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F018AFAF-6225-4945-A2AA-FC5E57DC3EFA}\NameServer
old REG_SZ = 165.248.1.209,165.248.1.196

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F018AFAF-6225-4945-A2AA-FC5E57DC3EFA}\RawIpAllowedProtocols
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F018AFAF-6225-4945-A2AA-FC5E57DC3EFA}\SubnetMask
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F018AFAF-6225-4945-A2AA-FC5E57DC3EFA}\TcpAllowedPorts
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F018AFAF-6225-4945-A2AA-FC5E57DC3EFA}\UdpAllowedPorts
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DontAddDefaultGatewayDefault
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableIcmpRedirect
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableSecurityFilters
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\SearchList
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\UseDomainNameDevolution
reset Linkage\UpperBind for PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4364&SUBSYS_303A17AA&REV_14\4&38D2602C&0&00E1. bad value was:
REG_MULTI_SZ =
PSched

reset Linkage\UpperBind for ROOT\MS_NDISWANIP\0000. bad value was:
REG_MULTI_SZ =
PSched

<completed>

Edited by kufskr, 14 December 2010 - 03:27 PM.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:24 PM

you rock...and so does your avatar btw.

Thanks! :grinner:

So does the Internet now work properly?

Edited by Andrew, 14 December 2010 - 04:25 PM.

#8 kufskr

kufskr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

ROFL. Sorry. No. It is still doing it's weird thing where I can access some sites (which usually bookmarked but not all). Mostly a bank site and several DOE sites (some are on our server while others are not). I'm getting pretty confused cause I've never really seen anything like this. I would just reformat it but there's a lot of weird (and usually quite dated) programs that they use (attendance, grading, ordering, etc.)But it's getting to that point where maybe it would be quicker and less hassle.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:47 PM

Let's try resetting the routing table, then. Enter this command into a command prompt:

route /f

press Enter, then reboot. Test connection and let me know.

Edited by Andrew, 14 December 2010 - 05:47 PM.

#10 kufskr

kufskr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

I entered "route /f" in command prompt and restarted. It still seems to be in the same place. I'm about to leave the site for the day but I'll be back tomorrow. they have a terrible system here where the people who fix things works the least (we're all part time). Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users