Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD after installing SP3

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 blackartz

blackartz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

Hi folks
I've been repairing a friend's PC after they contracted a nasty rootkit infection. After forum user Noviciate's expert and patience help all seems well on that front now.

Whilst generally tidying things up and updating various softwares, I thought I should install SP3 as update indicated this needed to be done.

After performing the update, just after the Windows XP loading screen with the progress bar comes up, I get a very, very brief BSOD (actually more of a yellow screen but this could be to do with the video card) then have to use system restore to get the machine back up and running.

I realise this is not very specific, but would welcome anyone's thoughts. Considering it's been running for so long without SP3 do I even need to worry about it?

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by blackartz, 10 December 2010 - 03:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:18 PM

Every SP for an O/S...is additional security protection for the system.

Since you mention that you recently had a bout with malware, with a system that did not have the full protection prescribed by Microsoft for XP....it's clearly up to you to decide what level of security/insecurity you tolerate on your system.

There is ample documentation on the Web regarding installation of security updates and safe computing...for you to make the decision you want to live with.

If this is a "name brand" system...the first place you might want to visit for insights...might be that manufacturer's website.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users