Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retrieving Documents from Dead Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 P01sonR1ng

P01sonR1ng

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

Hello all!

I have a computer (XPS M1330) that will not power up, and Dell replaced it with the XPS 14. However, I have some really important documents that are still on the dead computer. I know that I could pay someone to retrieve the documents, but I'm a poor law school student. I also have consulted the Tech department at my school; they will do and have done small amounts of document retrieval, but I think they are tired of me. Thus, I'd like to try the process myself.

I think I know what labor I will need; I will need someone who knows how to remove a hard drive.

But I'm not sure what equipment I will need. Do I need only the enclosure (which I think I can buy at Best Buy or somewhere similar), or is there something more I will need? I think I deduced from online sources that since it is a laptop, I will need the 2.5 enclosure. Other than that, I'm pretty lost.

From the order page, the XPS 14 has this as the hard drive: 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive. The dead computer, M1330, has a 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM). I hope that information helps.

If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate them very much. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

Things you will need: Phillips-head screwdriver

Removing the hard drive- Remove the four Phillips-head screws securing the hard drive to the drive bay in the lower right corner of the laptop. Pull the hard drive out of the drive bay, and set it aside.

You can buy this enclosure. Fit the hard drive into the enclosure and plug it in to your laptop and you should be able to see your files and backup it up.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Toki Wartooth

Toki Wartooth

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:47 PM

You could also just get a SATA to eSATA cable and connect the hard drive without the use of an enclosure. I Googled XPS 14 and the Dell site said it had an eSATA port... but since an external enclosure is only a few dollars more I would go that route providing the hard drive is still healthy. That way once you retrieve your files you can use it as a backup/external drive.

Here is Dell's guide on how to remove the hard drive on your dead XPS M1330. It has a photo so it might make it a bit easier.

#4 P01sonR1ng

P01sonR1ng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

Thank you guys!

My boyfriend's brother is going to try to take the hard drive out of the dead computer, put it into his computer, and do something concerning "DVD." I guess he'll burn my documents to a DVD disc or something. If that doesn't work, then I will definitely buy that enclosure.
Again, thanks for your help. :)

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:54 AM

Thank you guys!

My boyfriend's brother is going to try to take the hard drive out of the dead computer, put it into his computer, and do something concerning "DVD." I guess he'll burn my documents to a DVD disc or something. If that doesn't work, then I will definitely buy that enclosure.
Again, thanks for your help. :)

No problems :thumbup2:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users