Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access usb flash drive in windows 2000 professional

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sherman2001

sherman2001

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

Hello,

Summary of my problem with details and system information to follow: I have a usb flash drive (memory stick) that I am not able to access in My Computer or Windows Explorer (it doesn't show up). I have four usb ports in my system. Two are native to my iwill motherboard and two are on an add-in card which I will call Zeon. I have an optical mouse plugged into iwill. I have a printer with a highspeed cable in Zeon. I am able to transfer pictures from my digital camera through Zeon with no problems. I am also able to charge my old Motorola phone through Zeon with drivers I recently installed using a highspeed cable.

Details:

A. [System Summary]

iwill motherboard: kk266 plus

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ATHLON800
System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model VT8363
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~851 Mhz
BIOS Version Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
System Directory C:\WINNT\system32
Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
Total Physical Memory 523,764 KB
Available Physical Memory 181,800 KB
Total Virtual Memory 1,817,940 KB
Available Virtual Memory 1,156,324 KB
Page File Space 1,294,176 KB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

B. Here's what happens when I have the stick plugged into zeon or iwill: The 'unplug or eject hardware' icon appears in the task bar. The corresponding dialog box lists it as -- USB Mass Storage Device, USB DISK USB Device, Generic volume - (D:)

Device Manager displays the following:

1. Disk Drives : USB DISK USB Device
a. Driver Details > C:\winnt\system32\drivers\disk.sys

2. Storage Volumes: Generic Volume
a. Driver Details is greyed out. When I select 'update driver', the 'upgrade device driver wizard' opens where I select the search for a suitable driver radio button > optional search locations (leave all unchecked) > the following is displayed -- A suitable driver for this device is already installed... or to reinstall the current driver, click next. The driver is identified as, C:\winnt\inf\volume.inf
i. I've tried to reinstall the current driver, but it does not solve the problem, and the 'driver details' button is still greyed out.
ii. I tried optional search locations: Microsoft windows update which reports the same 'suitable driver already installed' message. I understand that windows 2k is no longer supported.

3. Universal Serial Bus Controllers: USB Mass Storage Device
a. Driver Details > C:\winnt\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys

C. My Flash Drive

I am using a flash drive from a former employer (with their logo on it) and it is unlocked. I have no idea who manufactured it or it's capacity or usb version. As far as usb versions are concerned, most of what I know comes from:

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_upgrade_to_usb_20.html

http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_tell_if_i_have_usb_20.html

http://ask-leo.com/why_wont_my_system_recognize_my_usb_device.html

D. My add-in card

1. I don't have any documentation (i.e. original packaging etc...). The card reads: ZEON 2 94V0 01 50; ports marked UJ1 and UJ2; Chip is Opti pci to usb open host controller, firelink, 82C861, 140149, 1OUE, made in taiwan.
a. Opti support: http://www.opti-inc.com/html/support.html
i. drivers: C:\winnt\system32\drivers\openhci.sys --- C:\winnt\system32\drivers\usbd.sys --- C:\winnt\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys --- C:\winnt\system32\usbui.dll
b. I cannot find a website for the manufacturer of the card and am not even sure if it is a 'Zeon'.
c. I searched for opti drivers and found for example: http://www.downloadpipe.com/drivers/review-OPTi-82C861-PCI-to-USB-Open-Host-Controller-1126554.html ... but I'm not sure this has anything to do with my problem or what kind of 'update' it is.

** It seems obvious to me that I need a driver for B.2.a. (above). Even if possible, I don't know how to manually install volume.inf. When I follow the steps above for driver update and specify a location, I am only able to select the directory C:\winnt\inf NOT volume.inf in that directory. I don't think this will help. Does anybody have or know where I can find an archive of drivers for old/non-supported operating systems? I've done some searching, trust me, but I could use expert help!!! What am I missing? I'm going to go pull my hair out now!

Thank you,

sherman2001

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:43 AM

The flashdrive could very well be dead, or it requires special software to be installed to access its features. Do you still know the former co-worker and if so can you ask him how he got it to work?

#3 sherman2001

sherman2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

cryptodan, Thank you for your reply.

My father received this drive from his last company as a gift. He explained to me that he was able to use it on his office pc (at the time) also running windows 2000. Unfortunately, that is all he remembers about it (said nothing about special software). He hasn't tried to use it on our home pc as I am trying to do.

More information that might help: In My Computer, when I open the 'Properties Dialog' of my only internal hard drive (C:), and select the tools tab, the 'Defragmentaion' utility displays the following information about the usb drive: Volume USB DISK (D:)... File system: FAT...Capacity 30MB... Free Space 21MB. When I select analyze, it also reports a total of 7 files on it! I also defraged it successfully. Could it still be dead under these conditions?

I decided to pass on purchasing a new flash drive recently, because I'm concerned I'll have the same problem, if this is a windows related issue.

Thanks again,
sherman2001

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:44 PM

How big is the drive? 32Megs?

#5 sherman2001

sherman2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:08 PM

cryptodan,

The Flash drive is 30 Megabytes. I only intend to use it to back up small files such as bookmarks etc.

My C: drive is 120GB.

Here's the Analysis produced by the 'Disk Defragmenter':

Volume USB DISK (D:):
Volume size = 31,717 KB
Cluster size = 512 bytes
Used space = 9,386 KB
Free space = 22,331 KB
Percent free space = 70 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation = 0 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 7
Average file size = 1,340 KB
Total fragmented files = 0
Total excess fragments = 0
Average fragments per file = 1.00

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 0 bytes
Total fragments = 0

Directory fragmentation
Total directories = 1
Fragmented directories = 1
Excess directory fragments = 0

Thanks,
sherman2001

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

Can you right click on the USB Drive and hit format?

#7 sherman2001

sherman2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

cryptodan,

No. I am seeing the flash drive listed under >> My Computer >> (C:) >> properties [right-click (C:)] >> tools tab >> 'defragment now' button. That is where I found the info. in my last post. There is no option to format.

Interesting. I decided to select the "Backup now" button under the Tools tab. The "Windows 2000 Backup and Recovery Tools" utility opens, where I am able to see the files (powerpoint and .pdf) on the flash drive (D:) under the "Backup" tab! I am not able to open them, but it does appear that I can select (mark) them for backup. I still don't see a (D:) drive in "My Computer". It shows up under My Computer in the Backup utility though???

Thanks
sherman2001

Edited by sherman2001, 12 December 2010 - 07:10 PM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

With the drive plugged in do the following:

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#9 sherman2001

sherman2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

Speccy 1.07 setup informed me that windows xp or later is required for installation. I am using windows 2000 professional. Is there an earlier version for use with my OS? Or I can try to paste a snapshot of my device manager, fully expanded. The only way I know how to to this is by way of my keyboard's "print scrn sysrq" key, then paste to microsoft word and attach it to a reply.

Thanks
sherman2001

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:12 PM

System Information for Windows try that and post a screenshot of it if you can. Just the drive information.

#11 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:01 AM

Can you right click on the USB Drive and hit format?

1. Click Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, Computer Management. The console window opens.

2. Expand the Storage tree, and double-click Disk Management. The Disk Management utility appears in the right pane.

3. Right-click the Flash drive and choose Format.

4. A window appears, asking you to choose a file system, an allocation unit size, and a volume label. For the file system, you can choose FAT32 or NTFS. Make your selections, and click OK.

5. A dialog box appears, telling you that formatting will erase all data on the partition. Click OK to continue.

Once formatted, eject the drive through Windows and connect it back again. Now try copying some files to the drive and see if things work out.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 13 December 2010 - 06:02 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#12 sherman2001

sherman2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

ReviverSoft, Thank you for your reply,

I followed ALL you're instructions, though the steps were a little different -- Start >> Settings >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management.

Anyway, I was able to format the flash drive (D:), and I selected NTFS even though as my earlier posts show, it was originally FAT. After I reconnected the drive, I opened the "Backup" utility, the only place I was able to see the contents (former) of the drive and saw the contents cleared. Format obviously worked. Though, I was now expecting to see the drive in "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer." Not the case.

BUT, In Computer Management >> Storage >> Disk Management, I decided to right-click the drive and to my relief a context menu opened with an "open" option. So I did. A window opened and I was able to drag and drop a copy of my bookmarks to the drive!!! Thank you ReviverSoft!!!

I'm still confounded -- can't you tell :) -- as to why the drive doesn't show up in "My computer" etc... As it turns out, the drive does show up under "My Computer," ONLY in the window that opens when I select "explore" for the drive context menu in "Computer Management." Weird.

BUT this will do! I know it seems a small thing, but this is a big help!

Thank you to cryptodan for tagging along for the ride with a layman such as myself; "System Information for Windows" looks to be a very useful tool!

I can only hope that I will be able to use this drive when we upgrade our pc and with other pcs (laptops, friends etc...) I'm willing to bet that when my dad's friend tried to connect his 1TB usb drive to our system some months ago, they would have been able to access it through "Computer Management." They may have missed installation of the drive's manufacturer software as well. I don't know, I wasn't there.

Unless anyone has anything else to add,

Goodbye for now,
sherman2001

#13 sherman2001

sherman2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

I'm back again,

When I select "Disk Management" under "storage" in "Computer Management," the dialog status bar says: Connecting to Logical Disk Manager Service. My firewall asks permission to access the Destination IP. When I allow this, my drives show up and are accessible as I explained in my last post. Does this mean that I will not be able to access my flash drive if my network connection (high speed internet) is down?

Thanks,
shermann2001

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:49 AM

What firewall are you using?

#15 sherman2001

sherman2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

ZoneAlarm Alert: Logical disk manager service process is trying to access the internet...Application: dmadmin.exe

sherman2001

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users