Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Schizophrenic Computer (you gotta read this)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pconstantinescu

pconstantinescu

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:19 PM

About two weeks ago I had a keyboard problem which wasn't exactly the keyboards fault. I know this because I tried 4 different keyboards which all work on my sister's computer. Somehow by pressing all the buttons at once I unstuck it somehow. I have experienced what I am about to describe 2 more times. and now I can describe it better. One time I booted and safe mode and it fixed itself and another time I unstuck it by pressing all kinds of crap.

But anyways this time I was typing an address in the address bar on Firefox 4 beta 7. Half way through the space bar input (not the space bar itself) Kind of got stuck momentarily for long enough to move the flashing line considerably down the address bar. Then it was stuck. Same exact symptoms as the other times.

It appears as if the computer itself is stuck in shortcut mode. Surprisingly to me, not most, but all of the keys have a designated shortcut. F opens the file drop down menu at the top of any window (I think its called a toolbar), e opens edit,v view, and I even think s opens the start menu, but only momentarily because that wont stay on. If I try to open the start menu with the mouse the start menu closes as fast as it possibly can so that it just looks like a flash. Its as if it is trying to play a game with me and see how fast it can close the start menu after I try and open it because in the beginning it doesn't close as fast then after two tries the start menu will begin closing faster. When I click any key all the windows flash and like, twitch or something. The lines under the first letter of every drop down menu tab at the top of every window flash as well.

When I first had this problem the keyboard worked fine in bios mode, but soon as it loads windows, it doesn't work anymore. This is why I called it schizophrenic because keyboard works only in the computer's subconscious. Usually it works fine for the fist 3 seconds, until it seems like it loads up a file or something. BUT, a complete reformat and fresh XP home install did not fix this problem. This time I couldn't get it unstuck. Another problem I have noticed that wasn't a problem before, is when I play GTA San Andreas, my shift key gets stuck (not the actual key), regardless of which keyboard I use. Shift is my handbrake and my handbrake will be stuck on and I can't drive. But in the game it is fairly easy to get it unstuck by tapping the shift key once or twice. Maybe a short circuit of some kind in the motherboard? Why does it only sometimes come on? Anyone have any insight into this?

SPECS: Gateway tower model number ATXAEG LX2 700X
2.39Ghz pentium 4
512 RAM
120Gig
I don't know what bios it is as it doesn't say it at start up. I don't even know if that will help any.

Any help I would like with this quite literally by very definition schizophrenic computer.

Edited by pconstantinescu, 10 December 2010 - 01:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

USB or ps2 keyboard? If USB, did you try plugging it into a DIFFERENT usb port?

It's a long-shot but sometimes long-shots pay off.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:17 PM

Additional thought. If it is a PS2 keyboard then do not plug\un-plug it with the PC on. PS2 is not hot swappable. I have seen PS2 ports rendered inoperable by doing this. Even entire mobos trashed, though rare.

#4 pconstantinescu

pconstantinescu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:34 PM

Nope not USB keyboards none of them.

#5 pconstantinescu

pconstantinescu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

Additional thought. If it is a PS2 keyboard then do not plug\un-plug it with the PC on. PS2 is not hot swappable. I have seen PS2 ports rendered inoperable by doing this. Even entire mobos trashed, though rare.

Hmmm is this true for PS2 mice as well? Because an older computer we had had like six USB ports and after a year or two only two of them worked LOLz. Have you ever heard of a non hot swappable keyboard that wasn't USB? Perhaps short circuited? It is weird because it works perfect in bios mode....

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hmmm is this true for PS2 mice as well? Because an older computer we had had like six USB ports and after a year or two only two of them worked LOLz. Have you ever heard of a non hot swappable keyboard that wasn't USB? Perhaps short circuited? It is weird because it works perfect in bios mode....

AFAIK the only thing that uses PS2 are mice and keyboards. None of which are hot swappable. Hot swapping is some what more reliant on the type of connection, not what is being connected. < This may\does vary.

Regarding the failing USB ports on the older PC. Could be any number of reasons they failed. Including just plain wearing out.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:57 PM

Any way to get a USB keyboard from someone to try? Odd that it works in safe mode, so that seems to me to rule out the ps2 port. Then again, strange things which defy explanation can happen when it comes to computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users