Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete Files After Reboot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mdotdiddy

mdotdiddy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:12 AM

The computers we use at school have a program I guess that after you save files or download stuff, after you reboot it wipes everything clean back to square one. I am looking to do this with some of the computers that are at work for security issues. Any ideas on what the program is or how to do this? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:28 AM

Sounds like they have a program like Returnil or similar installed.

You may want to ask a member of the IT staff at the school just what program they use. I`m sure there are others out there.

There used to be a product called Goback. But I am unable to find what I feel is a safe reliable download source for it. It may have been discontinued.

Edited by ThunderZ, 10 December 2010 - 11:31 AM.

#3 mdotdiddy

mdotdiddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:39 AM

Thanks. I'm reading about Windows SteadyState, seems to also do the trick. Does anyone know about?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

Have heard of it. Even had it suggested to me by several people I know who use it. Have never used it myself.

If this is the page you are reading then take special note of this.

ANNOUNCEMENT: Windows SteadyState will continue to be available for download through December 31, 2010. Support for Windows SteadyState will continue to be available through the Microsoft Knowledge Base portal through June 30, 2011.

It would appear MS will be dropping development and support of Steady State after the stated date.

#5 mdotdiddy

mdotdiddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

Yep that was what I was reading. And I saw that disclaimer, thanks for the heads up!

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:54 AM

Another option that protects alters just the Browser depending on it`s configuration is Sandboxie.

#7 Jhor

Jhor

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:21 PM

At my college they use a program by Faronics called Deep Freeze. It's $45 for a year and possibly less for a bundle of computers. I know it works really well, because I have tried to help friends recover assignments they left on the library computers to no avail. :P

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

At my college they use a program by Faronics called Deep Freeze.

I knew there was one I forgot. Have heard good things about Faronics products.

Thanks for the reminder Jhor.

#9 mdotdiddy

mdotdiddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for your help. I ended up using SteadyState because.. well its free.. and my company wont pay for stuff. haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users