Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Doesn't Work

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Jhor

Jhor

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:40 AM

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for your help! The original problem with this computer was a virus which, after I removed it, corrupted the Lsass.exe file causing the computer to reboot within 3 seconds of entering Windows. I'm going to skip most of the things I tried to fix it because they are irrelevant, but the final way I fixed it most likely caused the problem. I ended up booting off of Hirens and went into Mini-XP. From there, I took a restore point in the system information folder and copied over all the registry items in snapshot (i.e. Sam, Security, Software, etc) into the System32\Config folder. I restarted the computer and finally I had fixed the problem; but, to my dismay, the mouse would only work for the first 2 seconds after it was plugged in, and then after 4 plug in attempts it no longer worked at all. I tried a Windows repair, then a chkdsk /r in recovery console, then uninstalling the drivers, then erasing the registry items, then copying over the drivers from another XP computer, but none of these have helped. This problem has me completely baffled. :blink:

Edited by Jhor, 10 December 2010 - 10:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jhor

Jhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

If someone could please help me soon that would be awesome. Thank you.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

The original problem with this computer was a virus which, after I removed it, corrupted the Lsass.exe file causing the computer to reboot within 3 seconds of entering Windows.

Do you remember the name of the virus. Were you assisted in cleaning it at a reputable forum?
It is always possible that there is still an infection present.

Copying files from one XP PC to another may be part of the problem depending on SP and update\hardware differences.

#4 Jhor

Jhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

I work as a tech for a local computer company so I wasn't being assisted in the removal. The virus was a form of Aleron but I don't remember which one. As far as I can tell nothing from the virus is left in the computer, but that's not saying that maybe I missed something. The files I copied were part of the same computer, they were just system restore points I manually copied in the the system32\config folder.

#5 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

Have you tried a different mouse, or tried the mouse in question on a different computer to eliminate a hardware problem with the mouse?

#6 Jhor

Jhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

Yes, I've tried all of the above and the mouse is working.

#7 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:44 PM

Is it a USB Mouse or PS/2?

Does it show up in device manager?

#8 Jhor

Jhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:55 PM

The computer only has USB ports so no luck with PS/2 and it shows up in device manager under Human Interface Device. I do have somewhat of an udate though, I've been trying other things to make the mouse work including deleting drivers, and now I have an entry under HID that says unknown device and it can't locate a driver to it.

#9 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

Have you tried the mouse manufacturers site for a new driver?

#10 Jhor

Jhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

It's a simple non-name brand mouse, the driver for it is directly from Microsoft. The device that is unknown I'm assuming is also the mouse, because the mouse is located in the device below it on the device manager.

#11 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:17 PM

To confirm which device it is in device manager, unplug it while device manager is open and see if it disappears.

#12 Jhor

Jhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:23 PM

The unknown device is a mouse, but not the one I was using most of the time.

#13 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:32 PM

Do you have anything in device manager showing under "Mice and other pointing devices"?

I would right click on anything showing as a mouse in device manager and uninstall, then run add hardware from control panel to let it rediscover the mouse.

#14 Jhor

Jhor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

I don't even have a mouse or other pointing device section.

#15 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

Did you do the uninstall of everything that shows as a mouse?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users