Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WMP - avi's don't play???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jwmghf

jwmghf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:49 AM

Hey guy:

I installed an FFDShow plug-in so WMP would be able to play .acc files. As soon as I saw it was an FFDShow plug-in I un-istalled it. It always conflicts with my Xvid codec when I am converting video files to dvd format. That didn't help.

I walked through the registry and deleted anything that had "FFDShow" in it. Ran regcure to clean out anything that might have been orphaned and still no luck.

I tried a system restore and that hasn't worked on my computer in some time and that. System Restore didn't work. So then I tried a to do a System Repair and reloaded Windows and that didn't work either. After I did the system repair, I did try System Restore again but it failed. I am getting an error that the "avi is not a valid Win32 application."

I can still view the avi's with MPC, but when I open my TMPGEnc and load an avi, it says "error - file type not supported". I have confirmed this with a bunch of avi's that I had previously used in TMPGEnc before the plug-in was installed.

I am running XP Pro.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

John

Edited by jwmghf, 10 December 2010 - 08:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:46 AM

<<So then I tried a to do a System Repair and reloaded Windows...>>

Just how did you do this? Repair install? Clean install? Reocvery/restore mechanisms?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

What version of WMP?

Edited by hamluis, 10 December 2010 - 09:49 AM.

#3 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

Hey Louis:

I used the original xp system disk. Booted from the cd. I Loaded up my raid drivers. Got past the "Press the F8 key" to accept Microsofts license agreement. The screen pops up that asks if you want to install a clean version of Windows or repair Windows. I chose, "Repair". It skips the format the drives then and begins copying the Windows set-up files.

I am running the Asus P4C800-E deluxe, 4gb Corsair memory, Western Digital Raptor hdd's. I am running WMP11. It started out at ver. 9 and updated to 11 via Microsoft Update.

Let me know if you need any other system info.

Thanks

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:51 AM

Worth a read.

Seem`s to relate directly to your situation. As some good suggestions\possible fix(s).

#5 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:31 AM

I checked out that page. Some good info there, but, nothing to help with my issue. I'll keep trying to solve this in between all my system re-boots as Micrsoft updates seem never-ending. I'm like a yo-yo today...up,down,up,down,up,down...

Edited by jwmghf, 10 December 2010 - 11:31 AM.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

hmmmm. You used the GSpot Codec tool as suggested?

Codecs can be a finicky piece of software. Multiple\duplicate codecs can really gum up the works.

Afraid I can be of no further help regarding WMP. Have not used it in years for the reasons you are having now as well as others.

While this is not a fix, more of a work around. I, as well as many others here use VLC for most\all of our audio\video listening and viewing needs.

#7 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:11 PM

I use GSpot and pretty frequently I will say. It does report that I have 204 codecs (video)on my computer. I don't know what a normal amount of codecs are. Is that a lot or normal??? I don't load up codec packs ever! I know they can be can "gum up" the computer. If that is a lot, how do I go about unloading them?

Thanks

Edited by jwmghf, 11 December 2010 - 10:13 AM.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:17 AM

There is`t a normal amount that I know of.

If you have never loaded\installed any codec`s packs then what is on your system is what is native to windows and any other media player you may have installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users