Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling remote administration software

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tarkovsky

tarkovsky

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:53 AM

Hello people, I would like to know of a way to disable remote administration software such as those VNC programs from connecting to my computer. Anyone know of an effective method on how to do this? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ex0dus

ex0dus

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

Are you referring to the built-in Windows remote access? If so, you can disable Windows built-in remote access to your machine by:

Start>Run>Type sysdm.cpl>Click Remote tab>Uncheck Allow Remote Assistance connections to be sent to this computer>Click Apply

If you are referring to specific remote control software other than RDP... A good firewall would prevent unauthorized access, like ZoneAlarm including the free version, but you must specify during install that you want to manually allow/block programs. The option to automatically create firewall rules for certified Microsoft software could allow unauthorized access to your machine through some VNC programs since the one you have installed might be on the certified apps list. It's a good idea to have a firewall installed on the system anyway, whether you have a router with firewall capabilities on your network already. ZoneAlarm is what I use. It's the free version but in comparison to the other free firewalls, ZA is my favorite and has important features to keep your system safe from threats that even many paid firewalls are lacking.

Edited by astracner, 08 January 2011 - 02:41 PM.

#3 Guest_trizicus_*

Guest_trizicus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:59 PM

There is no '1 click' effective way to disable this kind of software unless you use scripting.

On a clean install of Windows you can disable Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop, as well as Remote Registry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users