Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD malware & recovery of missing desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 juneaujb

juneaujb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:29 AM

Earlier this week I got hit by the Hard Drive Diagnostic malware, and tried to follow advice from this forum. Was able to use control-alt-delete to get to the application and stop it from running. I got lost somewhere in Step 2 of HijackThis, looking for the [{random}].exe[Path}\temp{random}exe files. I suspect I probably goofed up and "fixed or deleted" something that relates to the full operation of the desktop. Loved the ATF Cleaner and malwarebytes! (is MalwareBytes an application meant to replace programs like Avast?)

I then ran a boot scan and a full system scan using Avast!(free version). HHD appears to be all gone, I can see files in My Computer, and my files/documents look o.k. However, I have not figured out how to restore my desktop, it is an empty blue screen. Have tried right click from that space to edit and restore the desktop but it doesn't change anything, still just a blue screen (looks like the blue screen of death).

On my external hard drive I have a back up copy of documents and settings from October 17th. Would any of the missing files be saved there? My son suggested I start over by reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling XP. Would prefer to find an easier fix if available. Appreciate help and advice. thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 10 December 2010 - 08:51 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:55 AM

Hi -
Please note that Malwarebytes is Not an antivirus program - It is an Anti Malware program to be run alongside your Antivirus -

Than You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users