Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where are my cores??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 magicalgritz

magicalgritz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:28 PM

Im using this program called Speedfan which record temperatures of the cores, when i first started using it, it showed all 8 of my cores and its temperatures, few months later it only showed 7 cores, and now more months later its only showing 6 cores.. are my cores getting burned out or something??? my cores avg temperature is 70 C... dont know if thats good or bad, on idle they go down to 60c but no less.. is there anyway to know if my 8 cores are all still working? im worried.. this laptop was 1k -_-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

What kind of hardware are you running, and what OS?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 magicalgritz

magicalgritz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:32 PM

Ima copy n paste from system information.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Adapter Description ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1gb

Couldnt find the ram but i know i have 6gb 800mhz of ram

400 gb of harddrive space...

Window 7

dont know what else you need to know...

oh and sorry i meant to say processors not cores ... the its only showing 6 processors now on Speedfan

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:34 AM

On most computers there is only one CPU (Central Processing Unit).

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:47 AM

You only have 4 cores. It is set up to use hyper-threading to give 2 virtual cores to each actual physical core.

Even though speedfan may show it as 8 cores, you will only get 4 individual readings since each pair of virtual cores shares a single real core. This is much more apt to be a problem with speed fans ability to handle virtual cores, rather than a problem with your CPU.

I would suggest Real Temp instead of Speed fan http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1872/Real_Temp_3.60.html

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

I would suggest following Polas advice-that is what I am thinking to, that CPU is only a 4 core, single CPU processor. It sounds like speedfan is having issues recognizeing the virtual processors so if your not noticing any performance increase then try either real temp or core temp.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users